PDA

View Full Version : Yellow on Black

Ed Vatza
10-06-2009, 05:27 PM
Another image from my early Sunday morning walk along my local creek. I just really liked the bend in the stem and how I was able to use it to bring the flower into the frame.

Canon 30D; Sigma 150mm macro lens; Canon 430 EX Flash w/ LumiQuest Softbox mounted on flexible flash; all tripod-mounted.

1/60 sec @ f/22; ISO 800; -2/3 EV; FEC -1

Julie Kenward
10-06-2009, 07:15 PM
Ed, I like the flower and I like the BG and I also love the bend in the stem. What I am not loving so much is how dark the greenery part of the plant is - those other buds seem way too dark. Did you try any selective shadow/highlights on this one to bring a bit of the detail back in that area or did you want the yellow to be the sole focus?

Ed Vatza
10-06-2009, 07:30 PM
Hi Jules,

The spent flower thingies (I don't know what they are called) were very dark in color and I personally wanted to leave them that way against the black background for two reasons. First, as you noted, it puts an even stronger focus on the yellow ("Yellow on Black"). And second I really like the effect of the dark thingies on the black background. Just a matter of taste I guess.

Harshad Barve
10-07-2009, 05:21 AM
beautiful image , lovely compo and BG
TFS

Vida van der Walt
10-07-2009, 10:41 AM
The yellow really pops against the dark bg Ed. Great detail and I love the water droplets.:)

Mike Moats
10-07-2009, 03:34 PM
Hey Ed, I think the dark thingies look fine, I tend to like dark moody lighting, although its not as popular with most. Nice details, and for me I would like a little tighter crop and less negative space, but thats me.

Steve Maxson
10-07-2009, 04:41 PM
Hi Ed. I like the way the yellow flower pops out of the darkness and all the water drops are a big plus.

Anita Bower
10-17-2009, 06:57 AM
I like the dramatic look of this image. The dark works, especially with the yellow flower. I would crop it more.