PDA

View Full Version : Cooper's Hawk

Dave Walz
10-06-2009, 05:28 AM
I took this picture Sunday morning. I would appreciate any comments. Thank you.

Brian Barcelos
10-06-2009, 07:46 AM
Dave, a little busy in the back and foreground for me. Too bad he didn't come out into the open for you. Your exposure looks good and I love his intent stare. Keep sending them.

Brian

Daniel Cadieux
10-06-2009, 07:56 AM
Hey Dave, good looking specimen you got to photograph here. He looks quite alert, surely on the lookout for tasty prey! Not always easy to approach and get out in the open. However, I do find the BG a little busy - in particular the branch close to the top of the head. To my eye the exposure is close, but could be darkened a wee bit. Composition-wise I would crop a good portion away from the right. I would also raise the colour temp a bit and apply an additional round of sharpening for web display. Thanks for sharing this beautiful accipiter :-)

Dave Walz
10-06-2009, 08:41 AM
I agree with your comment. Unfortunately the hawk was being harrassed by 5-6 large crows. I think that fact my explain his why he looks so alert. I think it purposely stayed back in the tree.

Kaustubh Deshpande
10-06-2009, 09:13 AM
Hi Dave. agree with suggestions above. Shooting birds in trees is surely not easy. The main problem( other than the busy BG and FG) to me is the camera shake. You did not post the details...so we dont know your shutter speed and aperture. Composition-wise, it will look better if the bird was more towards the right in the frame.

You clicked at the right moment to get the right head turn.

KD

Harshad Barve
10-06-2009, 12:58 PM
lovely expo and stare , agreed with commnets above
TFS