PDA

View Full Version : Starry, starry night

Fabs Forns
10-06-2009, 01:46 AM
This one is for you, Roman :)
Thanks for the inspirations and advise. We couldn't do YNP because of cloud cover and snow, but we managed this one. You were right about watching where you walk at night :cool:
Just got in to MIA, will critique tomorrow, need to recoup.
Painted with flashlight.

Date: 9/27/09
Time: 10:04:50 PM
Model: NIKON D3
Lens (mm): 24/2.8
ISO: 3200
Aperture: 8
Shutter: 30

Roman Kurywczak
10-06-2009, 03:34 PM
Hi Fabs,
Glad to see you made it back unscathed from the gopher holes! You must have had a bit of moon illuminating the Tetons and we don't normally see detail in them in night images! You lit the barn well.....and that effect can be adjusted to color temp and amount to taste by the flashlight used....or in PP'ing.....I will ask; why you didn't go to f4....for more stars???......My guess is the moon illumination, but as presented it does show the barns with an exceelnt sky and detail in the mountains.....which is not the easiest thing to achieve!
Very nicely done!

denise ippolito
10-06-2009, 03:42 PM
This is beautifully illuminated and I love the deep blue tones in the night sky. The Tetons in the BG are nice.

david cramer
10-06-2009, 06:09 PM
A beautiful image, Fabs. The barn is just a tad too bright for me, but well done!

Robert Amoruso
10-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Fabs,

I think the light painting on the barn went well, I like the look of the Tetons and the stars. The grass in the FG is distracting especially merging with the barn. Either moving to eliminate it (if possible), or not painting the grass may have been an option here.

For a different interpretation. I used a curves adjustment to lighten the image and then masked out the barn and FG. I then created a selection out of that masked, inverted it and darkened the barn and FG with another curves adjustment.

paul leverington
10-06-2009, 08:42 PM
Hey Fabiola this is wonderful. EXACTLY the sort of thing I've been wanting to start doing. Bought a kenko startracker in fact. I'm pretty amazed about the whole barn having such even light. How did you do that? A person would think a big diffused light source, but a flashlight! The biggest thing working aganst the comp I feel though is that very same total even light over the whole barn. There's little contouring, and tonal variance, things are bright but flat. I would think that maybe the barn off to the side and it being balanced on the other by an even bigger sky with oodles and oodles of stars would be nice comp too. The possibilities are endless aren't they!

Paul

Fabs Forns
10-07-2009, 12:03 PM
Hey Roman, we tried all sorts of openings and f/4 didn't seem to have more stars than this one. I have others from a different angle because of the the weeds, but this one was really sharp. There were three fires going one courtesy of the NPS that started them at the peak of colors when thousands of people get the the park. Of course, no one got a clear view of the Tetons and the some roads were closed because of the "controlled" fires. I love their timing. BTW, we saw a lot of helicopters with water for the controlled fires. Go know. Could the smoke have anything to do with less stars?

Paul, stick to Roman, he is the master of star scape. PM me for a copy of his how to article, it's not in the archives yet and I don't know how to find it on-line.
A friend went over the barn, right to left and then top and it was enough. We had three quarter moon shining on the Tetons. We were looking forward to do it again with full moon, but it was not to be due to a snow storm and cloud cover.

Robert, thanks for the repost, really nice.
Thank you Denise and David.

Grady Weed
10-09-2009, 11:59 AM
Excellent on all counts Fabs. I love the painted light, stars. But the barn makes it all come together.

Morkel Erasmus
10-09-2009, 03:10 PM
fab shot Fabs! ;)
love the light, comp and stars. the D3 probably rendered an almost noiseless image @ ISO 3200
I like the subtle changes Robert has made.

Judy Lynn Malloch
10-11-2009, 03:19 PM
Love this one Fabs. Sharp and well illuminated with a great sky and stars to set this off. Excellent work my friend !!!