PDA

View Full Version : Blue hyacinth

Pat Nighswander
02-11-2008, 08:23 PM
from the greenhouse on Sunday... ISO 1600, f 5, 1\640, 90mm.. it was variable cloudiness and sometimes lighting was difficult..

Robert O'Toole
02-11-2008, 11:01 PM
I like the subject and the lighting on the flowers but i think this would be much stronger as a vertical and either blue BG or orange BG would work but not 50/50 as it is now. Or maybe just crop in close and lose the top strip. the bright background is a little distracting and draws your attention away from the flowers.

Robert

Robert Amoruso
02-12-2008, 08:05 AM
Robert O' articulated my thoughts exactly. I like the details on the flower itself so I vote go for the details and fill the frame.

Be careful of the small white highlights protruding into the frame at the bottom. Crop of clone them out.

Mike Moats
02-12-2008, 01:45 PM
Hey Pat, very nice image, great details in the FG and nice color. As pointed out the bright right side draws attention. If you carry a diffuser or reflector to can sometimes shade these bright areas in the BG. Always study the subject from different angles to avoid these hot spots. Sometimes we tend to get so focus on the main subject that we don't pay enough attention to whats going on in the BG. The BG is the supporting cast to the main subject.

Pat Nighswander
02-12-2008, 06:21 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v339/nighs/2007/2008/0reshadhya.jpghttp://www.pbase.com/through_the_lens/image/92886317
hope I inserted the image right...Robert , Mike and Robert thanks for the feedback and I can see more than one way of solving this in post processing so the secon Robert's suggestion is what I had been thinking about..
yes lots of problems shooting at a greenhouse where you can't use reflectors, tripods, or move items a lot in pots on the floor..so I will watch even harder for those background problems..but it does beat shooting outside at -20 C....I will have to come up with a new closer approach on a lot of them..as the green house is open 2 hours a week for 4 more times.... and the lake is frozen..thnkas again for your help