PDA

View Full Version : Northern Vermont Hill Farm

Bob Malbon
10-05-2009, 07:21 PM
http://www.bobmalbonphoto.com/img/v7/p532986990-4.jpg

From Sunday during a brief let up of the week of rain. 1DMk3 on a 17-40 f4 at iso100, 1/80 at f8 - manual - slight crop. Bob

Bibhav Behera
10-06-2009, 12:16 AM
I love the composition here. The undulating terrain makes a really strong image. The shrubs on the right act as a foreground. The image seems perfectly exposed. No nits.. Wonder if a CPL would have brought out the colours even more... Lovely image overall :)

Bob Malbon
10-06-2009, 05:57 AM
Bibhav,
I did use a CPL - sorry for not stating it. That hill is not a peak color yet - I will try to get a look today after work.
Thanks,
Bob

Roman Kurywczak
10-06-2009, 03:16 PM
Hi Bob,
This is one of those images when I say.....sometimes too much of a good thing is too much! You had perfect exposure, nice clouds, nice terrain, and decent fall color.......but nothing stands out photographically........I feel the RH side brush is an intrusion into the image and your lens choice of going wide......doesn't allow us to concentrate on any part of the image.
If you really analyze this image, you have 1/3 of the frame grass......so the animals and barn become secondary....zooming in and concentrating on the barn, animals, and sky.....was the way to go.
Hoe you played with this comp because this had a lot of potential.

David Thomasson
10-06-2009, 06:50 PM
I agree with Roman, there's no center of interest that grabs you by the lapels and says, "Look here!!" That's a flaw, but not a fatal flaw. Being a
country boy myself, I know that sometimes it's nice to just sit and take in a beautiful piece of countryside without concentrating on anything in
particular. This is certainly a beautiful piece of countryside, and I enjoy just sitting and contemplating it. A little fussing around with curves and
selective color would make it even more enjoyable. Nice job!

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/5013/vermontc.jpg

Robert Amoruso
10-06-2009, 07:41 PM
Bob, I agree a lot of nice elements in the image but too much like Roman suggested. Tree at right is an intrusion. You have a nice arc in the tree line in the middle ground. Getting closer to that might have tightened up the compositions.

Bob Malbon
10-07-2009, 06:05 PM
There are a few elements I wish were more visable in this but what I was trying to present was the overall feel of a "Vermont Hill Farm" A dying species with factory farms killing milk prices - about 100 farms have shut down this year and most of the others are just hanging on. Bob