PDA

View Full Version : Fungi and lichen

Jim Caldwell
02-11-2008, 08:22 PM
I captured this image this weekend in the western everglades off Turner Loop road. This is a series of fungi and lichens on the bark of a tree. It caught my eye as I passed, but after processing, I'm not as sure it works - your opinions, suggestions are welcome!

Canon 1d MK II N, Canon 100mm macro, handheld 1/250 sec @ f/16, ISO 500, flash fired at -2/3 stop.

Robert O'Toole
02-11-2008, 10:58 PM
Hard to say Jim, I know how you feel I do the same thing all the time. This is a tough one, I dont hate it, but maybe a little tighter and less of the shadows on the right. It has an abstract quality to it.

Robert

Robert Amoruso
02-12-2008, 08:11 AM
Hi Jim. Nice to see you here.

I think you need to experiment with cropping to strengthen the image.

Mike Moats
02-12-2008, 01:56 PM
Hey Jim, I like your idea of finding interesting patterns in the green moss on the bark, but the white area is taking up to much space and contrast, while not offering anything of interest. If your adding this much of a contrast in a image that will draw your eye as the white area does, it needs to have more going for in terms of details, patterns, interesting textures, etc.

Jim Caldwell
02-13-2008, 08:35 AM
Thanks all! I've been playing around with crops and noticed that on the left of the white fungus, there is a spot that resembles the head of a cat. If I come up with something else - I'll repost it!