PDA

View Full Version : another in the theme- is it OK?

John Chardine
10-05-2009, 03:43 PM
If you remember Lance Peters and I posted a couple of images a while back asking questions about head angle (Lance) and habitat elements (me). In the continuing series I return to head angle (HA) with this image of a Common Loon/Great Northern Diver. The HA in this image is not optimal because the bird's head is angled away from you, the observer. However, in this particular case is it an image killer or acceptable?

(I have my opinion on this but very interested to hear from others!).

Canon EOS 50D, 400/5.6
capture date: Friday, 2 October 2009
exposure program: Aperture Priority
ISO speed: 1000
shutter speed: 1/1000
aperture: f5.6
exposure bias: +0.3
metering: Pattern
flash: OFF
Hand-held from a boat

Gail Spitler
10-05-2009, 05:08 PM
Great image for your question. I think the HA is fine in this image. The bird's eye is looking right at the viewer, and your eye travels from bird, then bird's eye to wave to wave to wave - ever deeper into the image. I love this one!.
Thanks for posting and raising the question.
Cheers
Gail

Christopher Miller
10-05-2009, 06:46 PM
John, I think the HA works well here. Even though the head is turned away slightly, the eye contact is still excellent. Great details and sharpness.

Ray Rozema
10-05-2009, 07:54 PM
I agree with the above. Your eye starts at the back of the bird, then to the eye, then out the bill out into the water. The waves, color and detail work very well.

Lance Peters
10-06-2009, 04:09 AM
Hi John - Even though it is not optimal - it does work for me, there is still direct eye contact with the viewer. The eye and bill still appear to be on the same plane - so both still appear sharp. The setting also helps out.
I like it. :)

Gus Cobos
10-06-2009, 04:55 AM
Sweet image John,
I like the slight head turn and the quality of the water. The low capture angle is a plus. Would recommend on selective sharpening the eye just a tad more...:cool:

Dave Leroy
10-06-2009, 06:01 PM
Really nice details and colours. Love th elook of the water. Although there is eye contact, what throws me off a bit, is the bird appears to be swimming away from you quite quickly. This makes the ha not work so well for me. I am curious about your opinion. Dave

Jeff Cashdollar
10-07-2009, 07:51 AM
Killer shot, love it, these are difficult gut to expose as well. A wall hanged IMO.