PDA

View Full Version : Missed . . . (egret)

wendell westfall
10-05-2009, 03:33 PM
D70s 70-200VR+2X@190 1/3200 f5.6 !SO400 -1/3EV handheld

This great egret has just missed catching a fish; the next strike was successful. I wonder if the whites, which I don't think are blown out, are ok? I cropped the image very minimally. Should I have included the reflection?

Wendell

Christopher Miller
10-05-2009, 06:54 PM
Wendell, I opened your image in PS and looked at the histogram, and I think the whites are blown a bit, though not terribly. Don't know if you might be able to recover them in the raw file. Great pose and I like the reflection. I might consider cropping in closer on the bird.

Lance Peters
10-06-2009, 04:23 AM
Hi Wendell - JUST MHO - but blown whites are Rarely O.K - In your main subject - different matter if it is a high key background or something - would go back to the Raw and see what you can recover, probably should have been at closer to -0.7EV.
Would desat the blues just tad, would also crop tighter on the bird.

Keep em coming :)

Gus Cobos
10-06-2009, 04:52 AM
Hi Wendell,
You have good action here, but agree with Mr. Peters on the blown whites, go back and re-work the RAW file again and see what you come up with...looking forward to seeing the repost...:cool:

wendell westfall
10-06-2009, 03:07 PM
To Christopher, Lance and Gus:

Looks like I tried to salvage a LOSER! I'll go on -- happily -- and hopefully -- to bigger and better things. Really appreciate your critiques.