PDA

View Full Version : Monochrome example

Kerry Perkins
10-04-2009, 05:00 PM
The theme this week got me thinking of some of the early pioneers of photographic art, the zone system, f/64 deep focus and some other random thoughts. ;) It's been a great week of images.

I've been looking at this image for three years, trying to think of the best way to present it. Thought I would give it a mono treatment as an experiment and this is the result. I used Nik Color Efex for the conversion as well as the toning filter.

The subject is a stairway in a lighthouse in Oregon. The interesting thing about these is that they are not attached to the lighthouse structure. It is a free-standing spiral stairway.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts. Does the composition work?

Dave Mills
10-04-2009, 05:40 PM
Hi Kerry, You did a good job in conversion,exposure and capturing detail. It's an interesting comp but the division in half by the center placed bar breaks up the image and stops the flow of the circular stairway. Since the center is the brightest area my eye has a tendancy to start there and then go to the plates in the foreground.There is alot going on in the image and it's difficult for the eye to rest. I tried cropping the image and might crop the bottom just above your name and a little to the right of the outside bolt. This would tighten the image up a bit, get rid of the bright bar on the bottom and move the centered bar a bit off center.

Dave Phillips
10-04-2009, 05:49 PM
I like the view Kerry and do agree mostly with Dave on the divided image.
I have often given a slight rotation to overcome this.....6° in this case,
recropped to off center the top lighted area and made it a bit whiter B&W

just a suggestion to consider.......super view

denise ippolito
10-04-2009, 05:55 PM
Hmmm... I just downloaded the image before and had a crack at it. I immediately thought a slight diagonal,but I like Dave's repost better than what I had thought of. I also did a flip and came up w/ a heart center! But I know that's not what you had in mind. Good advice given above and good eye for this one Kerry. BTW I like the conversion.

Kerry Perkins
10-04-2009, 06:00 PM
Thanks Dave! I have been trying to figure out a good crop for that. Does this work better?

Kerry Perkins
10-04-2009, 06:02 PM
Dave P., I was working on this when you made your post. I like that! I knew there was an interesting image in there somewhere... Thanks!

Dave Phillips
10-04-2009, 06:08 PM
Dave P., I was working on this when you made your post. I like that! I knew there was an interesting image in there somewhere... Thanks!

thanks to you too.....another option for play would be to add a new layer(not a duplicate)
in "color" blend mode and apply some color gradients. The effect is quite pleasing.
Something like this, but may be a bit much for you as it is no longer pure monochromatic

Hazel Grant
10-04-2009, 06:44 PM
I understand what Dave was trying to do, and it does set the staircase better, but I have to say that when I first opened this photo up, my thought was not "what an interesting staircase, but what a great geometric catch inside a building. Depends, I guess on what you're after. If you want a modern artistic, geometric image, I'd say leave the original. Even the bar adds to that. If you're looking to see the spiral more, then crop. (or do both and have the best of both worlds:)

Kerry Perkins
10-04-2009, 06:50 PM
I like it all! Would like to see other ideas too!

Harshad Barve
10-04-2009, 09:44 PM
lovely image and I am learning here
TFS

Dave Mills
10-04-2009, 10:25 PM
Hi Kerry, I think your repost does work better...

Mark Fuge
10-05-2009, 06:32 PM
There are many crop options Kerry. Here is another one for your consideration.

Your image ... Your vision.

Kerry Perkins
10-06-2009, 12:57 AM
Hey Mark, I like that version. You are seeing that golden rectangle that I was trying to get it to be. Very cool! Thanks!

Mark Fuge
10-07-2009, 06:18 AM
Hey Mark, I like that version. You are seeing that golden rectangle that I was trying to get it to be. Very cool! Thanks!

Thanks Kerry,

Sometimes less is more! ;) I like your original though too. Nice feel and tonal range.