PDA

View Full Version : Baraga Falls

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
10-04-2009, 04:37 PM
This was shot near Baraga, Michigan in the UP. Color is getting close to peak but by the waterfalls it always seems the colors turn later. Will be up at the porcupine mountains this weekend exploring waterfalls for a few days as they have rain predicted everyday for the next ten.
markIII
f/16@2.5 seconds
iso 50
lens 17-40mm canon with ND filter
tripod

Nick Palmieri
10-05-2009, 07:50 AM
Love the effect on the water under the falls.

Roman Kurywczak
10-05-2009, 03:18 PM
Hey Curly,
I like the exposure, SS, and most of the comp......the brightest area at top edge of frame did a few things....as it draws the eye, crop it out totally. It also cast a glare/light area on the water so toning it down will help. while I love the colors in the trees.....the flow goes right and the large expanse of still water confilcts to much with the flow direction......in the field moving right and aiming more left may have worked....as presented I would crop out a good chunk of the left....even getting a bit of the falls to help improve the overall flow. Bring the waders and into the drink next time.....this may help you explore some other comps!

Harold Davis
10-05-2009, 06:11 PM
hey RK, what about cloning in some tree leaves instead of cropping off the top? an option, maybe. curly, i was thinking the same as roman in reference to cropping off the left. i like the ss. the water looks great. looking forward to some more of these during peak!!!

Robert Amoruso
10-05-2009, 06:46 PM
Cloning in trees works Dennis. I say I agree with Roman's assessment here.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
10-05-2009, 09:43 PM
Thank you very much for your help and I can see what I did wrong. I had hip boots on as it was too far to walk or pack waders. Going to the left was over my boots as I did take a look also it was dark but here is another angle and comp. Thanks again for your help it is really appreciated.

Roman Kurywczak
10-06-2009, 06:01 PM
Hey Curly,
I prefer the OP with the tweaks or even bringing up the still water. I am also OK with clone/patch of the brighter area. If I get a chance tomorrow, I will work on it to show you some possibilities.