Tamron 17 - 55
45 mm
1/125"
F8
ISO 200
EC +.33

Cheryl Flory
10-04-2009, 04:03 PM
I went to the area's sanctioned giant pumpkin weigh off yesterday. and going through my pics, saw this texture. It is not as fabulous as the other images posted here, but hey, it's what I have. lol I did see the pumpkin which crushed the existing state record by several hundred pounds though! and had much more fun than I expected. I am still amazed at how willing people are to talk to you if you are photo-ing. :)

This is a very highly cropped section of a "medium" size pumpkin. and saved at 70% and smaller than usual size in order to get it to fit size limits here.

attached is a pic of the same pumpkin (I think) waiting its turn to be weighed. No, it didn't come near winning. But I did get a lot of opportunities to practice using my wide angle lens close to the subject in order to make the subject look larger in the frame. :D

Gus Cobos
10-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Hi Cheryl,
I like the image, you have fine sharp details and good color rendition, I like the angle of capture, but if you have more room on the right side of the frame, I would include more of the steam, instead of being cut off...aside from this, well done...:cool:

Cheryl Flory
10-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Thanks, Gus. I have a little more at the right side of the image, but the stem has part of the vine still attached and I thought it distracted from the texture. I really wasn't thinking close up when i took the shot. I should have composed it better in camera.

Jackie Schuknecht
10-05-2009, 08:43 AM
Cheryl, I really like the colours and texture here. You have it nice and sharp and it held up well for a large crop.
I agree with Gus that it would be nice to see the stem, or to possibly incorporate the vine into the shot. Should be no shortage of pumpkins for some more shots. Fits the theme well.

Alfred Forns
10-05-2009, 11:58 AM
I like showing a little more of the stem .... btw how big was the winner :)

Cheryl Flory
10-05-2009, 12:03 PM
Al, the winner was 1478 pounds!

Gail Spitler
10-05-2009, 05:21 PM
Cheryl - interesting concept and the image is intriguing. I like the image as a study of curves and texture, so the addition of more stem doesn't quite work for me. Very creative idea.
Cheers
Gail

Lance Peters
10-06-2009, 04:44 AM
Ohh my god - man thats some Pumpkin. Like the details and textures.

carole wiley
10-08-2009, 05:59 PM
Love the color and texture here. Would be nice with more stem but works for me without. I like the composition.