PDA

View Full Version : Coastal Florida

Harold Davis
10-04-2009, 10:38 AM
just wondering if this does anything for anybody.

D300, 18-200 at 50mm, f/14, 1/100s, ISO 200, 0EV, handheld

thanks for looking. comments and critiques much appreciated.

mariakruse
10-04-2009, 10:50 AM
This is wonderful. It really makes me homesick.
Light is just right and the balance of sky and water and bird make for an interesting trip for my eyes.

Dave Phillips
10-04-2009, 11:02 AM
I find it a pleasing scene Harold....the egret and sunlight key elements here IMO.

The histo is all way to the left, so I balanced it more to right and also
brightened the egret a bit.....just a couple possibilities to consider

Roman Kurywczak
10-04-2009, 12:49 PM
Hey Harold,
I think this does have merit. Although most won't say 'Oh Wow!.........it still shows the marshy areas well with all the layers of grasses nicely defined and the open water placed nicely in the frame compositionally. The egret was also a very important element to balance the scene overall. For my tastes a version somewhere in between the OP and Dave's re-work......I tend to like them a little darker. Nicely done.

Robert Amoruso
10-04-2009, 01:10 PM
Harold,

I think you did an excellent job here - personally knowing how hard Florida can be to create landscape images. The egret is definitely a must have in this image - it makes the scene. Compositionally, if possible, I would have like to see a wider pano with the left extended to where the grass in on the water, much like the right side. Assuming of course that was feasible.

Agree you need to be in between your post and Dave's in the overall luminance of the scene. However, I do like your darker take as it looks very much like a very low sun angle just before the yellows turn into reds at sunset.

David Thomasson
10-04-2009, 04:45 PM
I like this one a lot Harold. And I like the underexposure because it adds to the feel of twilight coming on.

In reality, the clouds conspired to throw the lower right area into shadow. I would shift the shadows to the upper left and throw more light
on our little friend standing amongst the grasses in thoughtful consideration.

Animated gif (570K):

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/4551/flalandscape2.gif
(http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/9628/flalandscape.gif)

Roman Kurywczak
10-04-2009, 04:57 PM
Nice job David! Works for me.

Dave Phillips
10-04-2009, 05:12 PM
brilliantly executed David....the egret has come to life(in the light)!!

Harold Davis
10-04-2009, 05:27 PM
thanks for all the comments and reposts!! david, i think i can recreate what you did......i think....but, i gotta ask....how'd you do that? personally, i would try it by using a reflector in nik color efex pro. but then again, i aint sure.

Harold Davis
10-04-2009, 05:29 PM
i see two gradients on the top left and lower left? and a reverse gradient on the lower right?

David Thomasson
10-04-2009, 05:41 PM
Thank you Roman and Dave.

i see two gradients on the top left and lower left? and a reverse gradient on the lower right?

It could be done in a variety of ways. Here's my layer stack. Nothing fancy to it. On the soft light layer,
I dabbed a little white on the egret to brighten him.

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/2031/layersj.jpg

susanschermer
10-05-2009, 08:05 AM
Nice work Harold and Dave. I love the scene with the egret so subtle. It's so Florida, something to strive for. "Wow!" isn't the only appreciative comment, Roman. What's wrong with "Lovely!"
Definitely keep the underexposed look.

Jackie Schuknecht
10-05-2009, 09:22 AM
Really nice comp Harold. Going against the grain here but I like Dave's lighter version. Great job getting the egret in there, it gives it a nice focal point.

Bob Malbon
10-05-2009, 07:25 PM
Sweet capture and the 2nd Dave's repost makes it pop!! Bob

kevinmat
10-05-2009, 08:28 PM
Very nice, Davids adjustments bring out a good representation of these Florida marsh grasses with their contrasting hues. Well done Harold!

Harold Davis
10-06-2009, 05:25 PM
thanks, everyone!!! i really appreciate the feedback and the reposts.