PDA

View Full Version : Carousel

Mirenchu Fernandez
10-04-2009, 09:01 AM
At Miami's Bayside, you can find this beautiful carousel. I was curious about the origins of it and I found this information that is very interesting. Hope you enjoy it!

"The earliest known depiction of a carousel is in a Bysantine bas-relief dating to around 500 A.D., which depicts riders in baskets suspended from a central pole. The word carousel originates from the Italian garosello and Spanish carosella ("little war"), used by crusaders to describe a combat preparation exercise and game played by Turkish and Arabian horsemen in the 1100s. In a sense this early device could be considered a cavalry training mechanism; it prepared and strengthened the riders for actual combat as they wielded their swords at the mock enemies. European Crusaders discovered this device and brought the idea back to their own lands.<SUP> </SUP>A carousel was also a training device for the ring-tilt, consisting of wooden horses suspended from arms branching from a center pole. Riders aimed to spear rings situated around the circumference as the carousel was moved by a man, horse, or mule."

Harshad Barve
10-04-2009, 09:05 AM
Beautiful image and fantastic info
TFS

Gus Cobos
10-04-2009, 11:19 AM
Hi Lady Mirenchu,

This is a beautiful carousel, the color rendition is super I like the star burst in the back surrounding lights...well done...the wide angle perspective makes it for me...:cool:

Alfred Forns
10-06-2009, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the info Mirenchu !!! Had a friend use to collect the figures ... you nailed this one !!!