PDA

View Full Version : Sunset over Godavari River

Ramesh Adkoli
10-03-2009, 10:20 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3450/3978306027_ff93d6bc50_o.jpg

I recently visited a town called Rajahmundry on the shores of Godavari River. Here is an image captured at Sunset on this river shores. This fisherman seems lost in contemplation after a hard day's work. Appreciate your views and comments.

EXIF: D700. 24-70mm @ 28mm, 1/50s, f/11, ISO 200, 3 stop GND, handheld
PP: selective curves, levels

regards,
ramesh

Robert Amoruso
10-04-2009, 09:27 AM
Ramesh,

I like the overall look to this image and the vertical orientation. The water has an expecially intriguing feel to it in the FG - clear and dark and reflecting the sun.

The boat, person and sun all act as interesting compositional elements. I do like you placement but offer some alternate suggestions. Moving right would have placed the person more left in the frame. That would have created a stronger diagonal view from the boat to the person to the sun as the viewer's eye moved through the image. Diagonals are strong compositional elements in images and can be used to strengthen your photography. You don't need to have a diagonal line for this to work, just having individual elements in the scene that the viewer's eye moves to works just as well.

For a second composition, your could move left and line up the person, boat and sun reflection all in the same line. This gives the image more of a tranquil feel versus diagonals which are more dynamic.

I like that you keep the boat and person from merging - you have them separated in the image and that is an important consideration. I also like the expansive view of the sky. Looking forward to seeing more of your images. Thanks for joining us here.

Harold Davis
10-04-2009, 10:04 AM
i agree with robert's comments and can add a couple from my point of view. i thought it needed a contrast adjustment so i downloaded it and played with it. some midtone contrast might help the sky, but i think it's just a matter of taste. one thing i did, purely by accident was turn it into a black and white. WOW, it was totally awesome in B&W!!!!!! just another option for you.

i like the peacefulness of the image. for my tastes, i might clone out the towers on the horizon line.

Ramesh Adkoli
10-04-2009, 11:05 AM
Thanks a lot, Robert and Harold. I really appreciate your detailed views. Robert, your suggestions on compositional alternatives are worth trying. Will keep that in mind. In this specific situation, the fisherman constantly moved: he sat on the boat, took a dip in the river, walked about and finally stood contemplating for just a while. I took several images and liked this the best.

Harold, i usually see how the image looks in B&W. Will definitely check it out.

regards,
ramesh

Roman Kurywczak
10-04-2009, 12:58 PM
Hi Ramesh,
This was very nicely composed. Robert and Harold gave you some excellent advice so I can only add that you may want to try and lighten the clouds and sky a bit....I think the blue at the top looks a touch unnatural so lightening it a bit won't change the mood.....which you have conveyed very nicely. Very well done!

Ramesh Adkoli
10-05-2009, 10:07 PM
Thanks, Roman.

D. Robert Franz
10-09-2009, 05:36 PM
Love this image. Agree with the above comments! Well done!

Morkel Erasmus
10-10-2009, 02:49 AM
very serene image Ramesh - some good advice given above. I wonder what an even lower angle would have produced?

Ramesh Adkoli
10-10-2009, 08:30 AM
Thanks, Robert and Morkel. There wasn't any further room on river front. I guess i would have missed out on the drama created by the sky by taking it from even lower angle.

regards,
ramesh