PDA

View Full Version : Gannet

Xavier Maessen
10-03-2009, 08:13 PM
Shot in august 2009 at the Bempton Cliffs reserve in Yorkshire, England.

Canon 50D
300 f/2.8 non-IS + Extender 2x
ISO 500 f/8 1/1250 sec
Handheld

Cropped from 15 to 12 MPixels to enhance composition. I also used the clone tool to remove two out of focus gannet heads at the bottom of the image.

Thank you for your comments and critiques!

Xavier

Michael Zajac
10-03-2009, 08:28 PM
I like the incoming pose. I would like a better HA. Beautiful to see the feet down. Nice BG and comp.

Brian Barcelos
10-03-2009, 10:30 PM
Love the tail feathers and the feet look awesome. BG is also very nice. I too wish for a better HA but I think if you lighten the eye a bit would improve this quite a bit. Congrats

Brian

Harshad Barve
10-04-2009, 12:51 AM
killer pose with control on expo , good details , HA mentioned
TFS

Randy Stout
10-04-2009, 08:55 AM
Xavier:

Nice one for your first image post. I like the pose, nice that the bill is not merging with the feet/tail.

The image is a bit dark for my taste, but I did notice a fair amount of noise creeping in as I tweaked the exposure. Was the original a bit underexposed? How did you meter this guy?

I agree with Brian about a subtle lightening of the eye. When they are landing, the aren't going to have good eye contact with us, but just a bit more pop in the eye, without looking unnatural would help (per Brian)

I can see some subtle left overs from the cloning along the bottom edge, esp. straight down from the birds left foot.

Thanks for sharing, hope to see more.

Randy

Xavier Maessen
10-04-2009, 04:38 PM
Thank you all for your comments. I suppose HA means "Head Attitude", but maybe I'm wrong?

Brian: you are certainly right about the lightening of the eye, it DOES improves the picture.

Randy: this one is shot in manual mode. The original was somewhat lighter, the darkening/contrasting was done with Canon DPP. I wanted to dramatize the picture, maybe a bit too much. Thank you very much for your interesting critique!

Xavier