Taken late morning probably harsh light
Nion D200
600 mm
F8
1/800s
-.3 EV
ISO 320
Matrix Meter
Thanks for looking. Would like to hear suggestions to improve it. It doesn't look quite right but I can't put my finger on it.

Ray:o

Lance Peters
10-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Hi Ray - I think the main issue here is the Harsh light - softer light or some fill flash might have helped.
Like the BG - might desat the greens just a tad, feels a little tight at the bottom. Like the HA and eye contact.
TFS

Jackie Schuknecht
10-03-2009, 07:44 PM
Very sharp, and lovely BG. Looks like you have good details in the blacks despite the harsh lighting. Good HA, looks like it could use a bit more room on the bottom if you have it.

Ben Egbert
10-03-2009, 09:53 PM
Looks good. Difficult to expose these and keep detail in the black without blowing the red. Looks like you had harsh light. I like a bit of overcast for these guys, but always with the main source of light at my back.

I see some halo.

Ray Rozema
10-05-2009, 07:49 PM
thanks for the suggestions . I did desaturate the BG but I was afraid of doing too much. I agree too tight crop on the bottom I was concerned the perch would be overwhelming But I agree w the suggestions. I too see there is a halo which I think occured when I desat the BG or selective sharpened the bird. Any suggestions on how to avoid the halo. Thanks very much for the advice.
Ray