PDA

View Full Version : Yosemite Sunrise

beykirch
10-03-2009, 12:01 AM
From my last week's trip to Yosemite NP. I had just one morning with some clouds and used that for Glacier Point at sunrise.

http://seehase-beykirch.homepage.t-online.de/Half_Dome.jpg

Canon EOS 5D, 4.0/70-200L IS at 70mm, ISO100, f10, 1/6sec

All comments are welcome

Bernd

Hilary Hann
10-03-2009, 04:10 AM
Lovely sky, really beautiful texture, colour and detail. Not sure how I feel about the great big rock in the middle of the image, on my monitor it just looks like a dark lump. I'm not a great lover of boulders and rocks right in the foreground so I might be the only one who is not so keen on it. :confused:

Roman Kurywczak
10-03-2009, 09:25 AM
Hi Bernd,
This is a classic example of the choice we have to make on whether to use or not use the split ND. If you used a couple of split ND's.......you would have brought out more detail in the FG of Half dome and the distant mountains and given even more color to the sky.
If you wanted this as a silhouette....you wouldn't use the split ND's and move the histogram to the left/blacks possibly even clipping it some on that side......this makes stronger blacks and gives the sky colors even more pop. You may be able to add blacks in selective color to both the neutrals and blacks......giving you the same result and if that is the direction you were going......worth exploring. Not sure if you are into it but you can also process this image twice.....once for the sky and once for the mountain details......and combine the 2......may also give you the same result but does require a bit of computer work. That is why I always choose the filters.....quicker and easier!
I do feel you have enough there in the image to bring it up a notch with just a few PP'ing tweaks.

Robert Amoruso
10-03-2009, 10:03 AM
Bernd,

This is what Roman has in mind I'm guessing with regards to the ND filters.

Did this in PS using Shadows/Highlights opening up both Shadows and Highlights. The problem with this method is noise in the FG. HDR or two exposures, one for FG and one for sky combined using layers in PS would have been another approach. Note that FG lacks contrast due to the S/H adjustment - typical problem requiring further curves adjustment in the FG.

beykirch
10-03-2009, 02:42 PM
Hi Roman and Robert,

my purpose was to hold Half Dome in the shadow (I had NDs in my bag, but decided against them). On the other side, I see in Roberts alteration that I was to careful in enhancing the reds.

Below is my new version.

http://www.seehase-beykirch.homepage.t-online.de/Half_Dome_2.jpg

Regards

Bernd

Roman Kurywczak
10-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Re-post looks good Bern with the color boost. I'm OK with the details in the shadows as presented.....just offered other options.

Robert Amoruso
10-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Hi Roman and Robert,

my purpose was to hold Half Dome in the shadow (I had NDs in my bag, but decided against them). On the other side, I see in Roberts alteration that I was to careful in enhancing the reds. Regards

Bernd

Bernd, I figured your purpose was the silhouette of half-dome. :) I like the repost and enhanced look to the sky.

Harold Davis
10-04-2009, 10:04 AM
repost looks smoking!! congrats on getting that nice sky.