PDA

View Full Version : St Marks Lighthouse HDR in B&W

Harold Davis
10-02-2009, 02:25 PM
another perspective from st marks processed in silver efex pro.

D300, 18-200 at 26mm, f/22, ISO 400, 1/15s was 0EV. seven images from +3 to -3EV.

thanks for looking. comments and critiques much appreciated.

Roman Kurywczak
10-03-2009, 09:08 AM
Hey Harold,
Nice job working the scene and nice to watch the progression too! Could you get out more to the right? I like the line of grass leading to the LH but I'm not loving the immediate FG grasses and patch of mud on the left hand side. I did a scroll crop up to the top of the mud and I prefer that comp although I am not the biggest fan of the more square presentation...so I came up with an in the filed suggestion for next time and more questions;
You had more mm's.....Why didn't you go wider to include more of the reflection? Was there stuff on the right and left? What height did you shoot this at? I ask because getting lower and closer to the water on the left (where part of the lighthouse reflection is) you may have been able to get the whole light in! and eliminated the distracting FG grasses.
I do like the conversion and the cloud in the sky leading you to the light and will give you credit for exploring the different angles on this lighthouse......the crop does seem to be the best solution for my tastes but let's see how others feel.

Harold Davis
10-03-2009, 09:17 AM
getting right may be a possibility. it's just more water. not sure how deep, but i'd imagine no more than four feet. gators may be the biggest problem. i'm usually bigger, but they got bigger teeth that hurt. right of the lighthouse is a fairly newly built lookout tower. not good to include in the scene. left is just a row of native shrubs and palms. getting lower is definitely a possibility. i thought the inclusion of the winding foreground grasses made a nice line leading to the light?

i emailed the park today to see if i could find out when they are gonna relight the main light instead of the temp. i'll let you know what i find out.

Robert Amoruso
10-03-2009, 09:52 AM
Well Harold, Roman pretty much captured my thoughts exactly. :)

One thing I would add is that I did the browser crop too and agree that loosing the FG strengthens the image a lot, I am not disturbed by the square crop though going vertical here including more of the sky and not the FG would have been my preference. Overall though nice work with this image. Especially like the B&W treatment.

Van Hilliard
10-12-2009, 08:22 AM
Cropping and angle of view has pretty much been covered by Robert and Roman. Despite those comments, I think this is an effective image. I especially like the conversion. You have captured the silvery glow and tonal range that I always have appreciated in the classic b&w landscapes.
Van