PDA

View Full Version : Cardinals Here and There

Brandon Holden
02-11-2008, 04:00 PM
http://www.peregrineprints.com/zzNOCA3.jpg
1D M2n, 600mm... ISO 250, F 5.0, 1/400.. 83% of frame

While shooting at my backyard feeder (and in my new blind), a few excitign things can happen when the feeders are busy. This female was posing very well, but this male decided she shouldn't hog the spotlight, and jumped in on the image! I really liked how the male and female seem like they could fit together..

Happy shooting!

Brandon

Jim Poor
02-11-2008, 04:06 PM
There really is a kind of symmetry between them that looks like a puzzle. That said, the male is just a bit overpowering for my tastes.
There is also a really strong while line in front of the female. Blown way up in PS it looks very sharp like it was drawn there. Any ideas what it is from?

Fabs Forns
02-11-2008, 04:10 PM
Hi Brandon,
I also find the male distracting. The line Jim sees could be rim light?

Robert Amoruso
02-11-2008, 04:17 PM
The female looks wonderful but I find the male distracting.

Brandon Holden
02-11-2008, 06:38 PM
There really is a kind of symmetry between them that looks like a puzzle. That said, the male is just a bit overpowering for my tastes.
There is also a really strong while line in front of the female. Blown way up in PS it looks very sharp like it was drawn there. Any ideas what it is from?

I'm really not sure what its from, its in the RAW file too... To me, I think its a combination of paler white belly feathers in that area, and snow reflecting up from the ground..

Thanks for everyones comments so far! A number of people think the male is distracting, but I guess after getting a bunch of shots of the female alone, this was the one that grabbed my attention!

Happy shooting!

Brandon

Maxis Gamez
02-11-2008, 08:14 PM
I have to agree. The female looks gorgeous but perhaps a better perch would help her even more. The male should not be there! is a huge distraction to your main subject.

Richard Kowalski
02-11-2008, 09:33 PM
Another vote for the male being distracting. I agree with Fabs, the line looks like rim light. I'd like to see a bit more room along the bottom too. The tail is too close and the flower stalk is nipped.

Raymond Barlow
02-11-2008, 10:34 PM
I think it is a cool shot Brandon, something a bit different, and very lucky with your timing.

John Chardine
02-12-2008, 10:42 PM
The whole point of this image is the male. It's superb.