10-02-2009, 05:21 AM
Dear all
Personally I can't get get enough of ths buddy ( So posting these many ):D
Made with D300, 600mm/F4 , ISO 400, F5.6 , Tripod

All C & C are most welcome and much appreciated
Harshad

Phil Liew
10-02-2009, 05:27 AM
I wish they are as common here as where you are. I do see a tinge of magenta cast on my monitor for this one. Reduce the catchlights in the eyes and it would be fine for me. Good HA and eye contact.

Harshad Barve
10-02-2009, 05:40 AM
Phil ,
They are not at all common in India , we get these guys are breeding visitors and less info is available
I got this chance by luck and tried to make most of it

Here is repost with corrections , how it looks now

These jewels lead a mysterious life really….. It is a breeding visitor to the Mumbai region arriving with the rains and vanishing as soon as the breeding is over….surprisingly, we don’t know for sure from where this population comes from, as there are very few records down south in non-breeding season….. I suspect they migrate from Srilanka (?), but this needs verification. This tiny bird has such amazing colours that one gets stunned at its mere sight. It is a true forest dweller, found mostly along flowing streams, but never in open habitat……usually seen darting its way with such speed and agility that most of its sightings are just a glimpse like a zooming fire ball…. I feel blessed that I lived to see this!!

Info Courtsey Adesh Shivkar , one of the top Birding experts from India

Matt Vosniak
10-02-2009, 06:44 AM
This is quite beautiful Harshad. These guys have to look like flying rainbows while in flight. The kingfishers around here are very wary and skittish are these like that too? If so that makes this all the more of an impressive capture. Well done!!!

Rohan Kamath
10-02-2009, 06:57 AM
awesome image Harshad ji...I know how dense the forests are where there guys are found and such IQ in the poor light is outstanding...fantastic colors and details as usual...

as correctly pointed out...this is one of the rare and very delicate species of India...

Harshad Barve
10-02-2009, 07:02 AM
This is quite beautiful Harshad. These guys have to look like flying rainbows while in flight. The kingfishers around here are very wary and skittish are these like that too? If so that makes this all the more of an impressive capture. Well done!!!

I really dont know speed in terms of km/hr or miles/hr but they just zoomed past me , Before my EYE could lock the focus , he/she was no where :D. I tried gogling on speed but could not get data , Only one link clamis speed of 45km/hr ( not very authentic )
It takes off so fast , I could manage a reasonable take off shot

denise ippolito
10-02-2009, 07:22 AM
Harshad, Beautiful species and I love your series so far. Thankyou for the info it is most interesting. Gorgeous colors and the pose is very nice. I also like your composition w/ the perch. Well done.

Connie Mier
10-02-2009, 07:58 AM
Good information Harshad, I appreciate your shots of these beautiful little birds even more so. FYI, I can't see any difference between the 2 posts on my screen, I think the OP is spot on and I do like that catch light in the eye.

Ramon M. Casares
10-02-2009, 08:37 AM
Wonderfull species! Great pose, detail, colors, BG and comp. I would only suggest to tone down the reds on the bill a little bit.
Congratulations!

Phil Liew
10-02-2009, 09:12 AM
Hey Harshad, yep better this time. They are small and hard to make out but when see their colours are simply amazing. Our season of them comes later in the year so I shall be looking out next trip home.
No, neither can I get too much of this little gemstone.

David Fletcher
10-02-2009, 02:40 PM
Just plain awesome Harshad. Gorgeous comp, bird, HA and colors. VWD Sir!

Lorant Voros
10-02-2009, 08:00 PM
Not much to add just to lift my hat; wonderful bird, colors, HA and perfect composition.

Arsdel Fluesmeier
10-03-2009, 10:47 AM
That is an awesome image of a beautiful bird!!!!!