PDA

View Full Version : American Bittern Closeup

Larry Hitchens
02-11-2008, 02:51 PM
Canon 5D Camera, Sigma 800mm F5.6 ISO 100 1/250sec.
Original Image much sharper can only get to 80 quality
because of size limitation here also reduced to 700 size.
Any advice on how to post an image at its real quality
would be appreciated, this image is tack sharp but looks
poor after reducing to 80 quality.

Arthur Morris
02-11-2008, 03:09 PM
Looks fairy sharp and of decent quality but filtered light is almost always an image wrecker. A crop from the bottom seems best here. I routinely post 800 J-PEGS under 100 KB and 650 J-PEGS under 50 KB and they all look smashing. Recommened: Digital Basics. And all of my are prepared automatically with an action in under 2 seconds...

Robert Amoruso
02-11-2008, 03:21 PM
Larry,

It sounds like you are sharpening the image first and then downsizing it. You should downsize to the posting resolution first and then sharpen.

Axel Hildebrandt
02-11-2008, 07:26 PM
I agree, the lack of sharpness might be due to sharpening before resizing. I agree on a crop off the bottom and I like the BG.

Stephen Stephen
02-11-2008, 07:35 PM
Good capture here Larry with nits mentioned. The suggestion about resizing and then sharpening is good.

I also "link" my images from my Photobucket account* (instead of uploading the file directly to this site) to my threads here so they can actually be > 100K in size. This helps reduces quality deterioration.

*You just have to be sure never to modify them at the other site otherwise the image will "disappear" from here.