PDA

View Full Version : Spin Doctors

Bill Dix
09-30-2009, 10:32 AM
D90
80-400 VR @ 400 mm.
ISO 400, 1/4000s. @ f/5.6
Matrix metering, -1.3 EV; Aperture Priority; AF-A; HH

The Red-necked Phalaropes at Moss Landing were spinning wildly like so many Whirling Dervishes, each one creating his personal vortex to bring food up to the surface. This juvi hadn't learned to spin as fast as the others, and was less camera-shy. Here again I would have liked to get lower and further to the left, but conditions didn't allow. I tried to tone down the highlights, but despite the exposure adjustment I think I burned the cheek and rump beyond recovery. This was shot an hour or so before sunset but the light was still strong. I had speed to spare and should have used a smaller aperture. Also, I normally would have positioned him further to the left but wanted to include a full circle of ripples. When I try to sharpen the web-sized jpeg any more than this I start seeing a halo, so I stopped here, despite the fact that the TIFF sharpens up nicely. I still need to improve my sharpening skills. So much for my self-critique; what else did I miss? C&C welcomed.

Bill

Ben Egbert
09-30-2009, 11:39 AM
Looks good. I think you could crop some of the right and not lose the circle. I think part of the problem with web size images is the severe downsizing. I tend to crop tight just so you can see the durn thing:-)

Not bothered by the blown highlights, it happens on whites, you still have good detail amongst most of the white areas. Might try a multiple conversion, one dark one light and brush in the bright areas from the darker conversion.

Kyle Marie Barcelos
09-30-2009, 02:13 PM
On my srceen the head is a bit soft. like the ripples in the water, the detail in the feathers are nice and like the colors, well done, TFS and keep them coming:)

Lance Peters
09-30-2009, 05:07 PM
Hi Bill - Looking good, like the head angle and the eye contact and the inclusion of the ripples. Agree with your own self critique - shutter speed to burn here.

The blown highlights --- going to have to disagree with Ben, IMHO blown highlights should be avoided, if you position the light angle correctly and expose correctly, you should not have any blown highlights - I always expose as far to the right as I can, but use the histogram to confirm no over exposure. Experienced photographers may over expose on purpose - Knowing how far they can push it and still be able to recover the whites in conversion.
Soft light always helps - hard with a white bird in harsh light.

Keep em coming :)

Gus Cobos
09-30-2009, 05:39 PM
Hi Bill,
I like the composition and capture...you have a good head angle and good eye contact...your whites are a little over, agree with Mr. Peters on the techs. Looking forward to your next one...:cool:.

Jeff Cashdollar
09-30-2009, 08:33 PM
This is an interesting image. Light Mid Tone on a light MT background (estimate).

This EV on this could have been +1/3 to keep things right w/o clipping right or maybe 0. There is so much white on this bird, the entire image needs to be balanced, your exposure was ok, maybe slightly off. As you said, light one hour prior to sunset can be harsh, this might be part of the brightness issue.

It is a tad soft in places and 1/4000 is fast enough for HHing. Was this a large crop?

Bill, I use a light meter to check exposure of light on the subject and of course check histogram prior to shooting if possible with some sample shots, then adjust aperture. You can not use sunny 16 because too late in the day. Nice image, you continue to improve.

Bill Dix
10-01-2009, 08:29 AM
Thanks, all, for your help. In this case I did have the time to shoot a few and check for highlight blinkies before adjusting the exposure. I thought I had it right, and I'm beginning to wonder if maybe I didn't leave enough room at the right for changes in processing -- maybe I added some contrast or brightened which caused the burn in those few areas? I haven't tried to go back to RAW to see.

Jeff, in this case it was not a huge crop; less than 25% off sides and bottom. I appreciate your comment. I have learned a tremendous amount from all of you on BPN over the last months, especially how to determine after the fact what I did wrong. Now I just need to become more skilled in applying that knowledge in the camera before I pull the trigger.

Bill