PDA

View Full Version : Barn Owl portrait

Ákos Lumnitzer
09-29-2009, 06:26 PM
Another from my recent adventures with these owls. I cannot get enough of them and I miss the experience as it's been close to two weeks I went there or for that matter took a bird photo.

30D, 300/1.4, ISO400, f/9, 1/125th, 430EX -1/3 EC, beamer, HH, AF from memory this time. :D 90% FF

Aidan Briggs
09-29-2009, 06:43 PM
Great detail, flash work, and exposure. I might darken the pupils a tad, there is a tiny bit of steel eye from the flash there.

Well Done!

Axel Hildebrandt
09-29-2009, 06:45 PM
Great details, good exposure control and I also like the inquisitive look. I might give it a bit more room at the top.

Stephen Stephen
09-29-2009, 07:03 PM
I like the flash control here Akos. I'm still hoping to see one of these some day.

Rohan Kamath
09-29-2009, 07:24 PM
superb exposure control here...loved the details brought out by perfect flash...

Marina Scarr
09-29-2009, 08:17 PM
The details you have captured in the owl's face are simply outstanding. Never thought I'd see a Barn Owl this close up. You did a good job with the flash.

Ákos Lumnitzer
09-29-2009, 08:21 PM
Thanks everyone for looking. :)
I also thought the steely eye was just a little there, but it kind of does not bother me all that much.
In case any of you have followed my series, this is the one with the broken leg the last night I saw it.

Ramon M. Casares
09-29-2009, 08:33 PM
Wow.. just amazing!!! How much I love these birds!!! I think this is the most beautifull Owl there is.
Lovely portrait, great detail, colors and sharpness. I could only suggest a tad more color temperature and to darken the pupils a bit more.
Huge congratulations!! Loved it.

James Salywoda
09-29-2009, 08:48 PM
Gorgeous portrait Akos of this beautiful bird really very well done I think its presented perfectly as is my friend....

Harshad Barve
09-29-2009, 09:07 PM
Bang on exposure Akosbhai with great sharpness, details and looks
TFS

Connie Mier
09-29-2009, 09:10 PM
A self-portrait, Akos? :) Very intense close up, fantastic shot!

Lorant Voros
09-29-2009, 09:11 PM
I just get blown away from the photos of this series and reading your technic makes it even more special. Pity that it was the last night of this fellow. He looks great with the nice exposure, detail in the plumage and the majestic look. Le a kalappal előtted, Ákos.

Ákos Lumnitzer
09-29-2009, 09:42 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments and constructive critique, I sincerely appreciate them. :) I burned the pupil a little and a few darker areas around the face. Also upped the reds in color balance a tad to warm it up. Hope I didn't overdo it. :)

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CDonata%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmso html1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} span.EmailStyle15 {mso-style-type:personal; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-ascii-font-family:Arial; mso-hansi-font-family:Arial; mso-bidi-font-family:Arial; color:windowtext;} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Lóránt<o></o>
Neked külön köszönöm kedves hozzászólásod.

Ramon M. Casares
09-29-2009, 10:03 PM
I think you went a little too far, at least in my monitor now it looks kind of pink, I took the liberty to do my own version, I warmed up the whole thing except the white feather wich I left as they were, I also gave the image more contrast, just a tad, but a little more. Hope you don't mind. :)

Ps: I also cleaned up the bill :D

David Fletcher
09-30-2009, 10:15 AM
Cracking portrait Akos. Superb details. Like Ramon's repost too. Well done.

Attila Seprenyi
09-30-2009, 12:55 PM
Great portrait Akos i like your serial of Barn owl. I think you have a good experience to use flash. Well done.
I also like Ramon´s version.

Mike Tracy
09-30-2009, 07:37 PM
No immediate suggestions for improvement either technically or compositionally. Real captivating image with those piercing eyes.

Ákos Lumnitzer
09-30-2009, 07:47 PM
Thanks everyone for the encouraging comments. I like your version Ramon, thanks for taking the time. I am just not "happy" about your bill job. :D Gracias!

Ramon M. Casares
09-30-2009, 08:08 PM
:o:D LOL.. why not??

Dave Barnes
10-01-2009, 01:02 AM
Akos stunning looking bird mate. Just love the feather detail on the face. The original is super but the work done on it by Ramon takes it over the top.

Harshad Barve
10-01-2009, 01:03 AM
Ramon's repost rocks

Ákos Lumnitzer
10-02-2009, 04:32 AM
Thanks again for looking everyone.

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CDonata%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmso html1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} span.EmailStyle15 {mso-style-type:personal; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-ascii-font-family:Arial; mso-hansi-font-family:Arial; mso-bidi-font-family:Arial; color:windowtext;} @page Section1 {size:595.3pt 841.9pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Ramón, I was thinking the bill had those markings naturally so I left them there. Maybe I am wrong. I do appreciate your time mate. <o>:)</o>