PDA

View Full Version : Amelia Island Lighthouse

Harold Davis
09-29-2009, 03:41 PM
5 image HDR using photomatix pro. i actually toned down the sky several times. dont know what else to do with it. it seems to almost overpower the scene. and btw, this was taken inside fort clinch sp, which is the best place to be, but it closed at 7:30pm, right when they turned on the light. so i masked in the light taken from a different location outside the park. :)

D300, 18-200 at 105mm, f/22, ISO 200, 0EV was 1/2.5s

thanks for looking. comments and critiques are much appreciated.

Roman Kurywczak
09-29-2009, 04:24 PM
Hey Harold,
I like bold colors so am ok with that as presented. I think you did a good job with the HDR and my only recommendation is to take a good chunk of the grass off (2/3)....while the exposure is right on IMO removing it further strengthens the connection between the LH and the sun.
Nice job putting the light in too!

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
09-29-2009, 06:29 PM
Very nice love the sky, less grass would be a plus, great job on the hdr

Robert Amoruso
09-30-2009, 08:24 AM
Harold,

I very much like the boldness of the colors and the contrasts that causes. HDR work is right on. I would go with a 1/3 reduction on the grass. I like how it looks but 1/3 off balances the upper portion of the frame better.

Nice work.

Jackie Schuknecht
09-30-2009, 09:13 AM
Colours and comp are very pleasing Harold. Nice HDR work. My first thought too was to take some off the bottom. I think the grass is taking away from other parts of the image. I guess this must be a famous lighthouse?

Michael Pancier
09-30-2009, 10:26 AM
I was there last summer but was not there during the right light. With that color sky, the only think I may consider is darkening the foreground some and cropping some of the bottom grass layer.

Harold Davis
09-30-2009, 01:28 PM
I guess this must be a famous lighthouse?

famous? i dont know. but i like lighthouses, this one is in florida, so i wanted to give it a try. one thing that i have learned recently is that there are a lot of lighthouses in florida, but a large portion are only accessible by boat, of which i do not have!

Indranil Sircar
10-01-2009, 02:41 PM
I like this a lot with the three distinct layers. Amazing sky and colors!

Rich Ikerd
10-01-2009, 04:42 PM
Bold colors indeed Harold - I really like both the image and the processing. A bit less foreground to help maximize attention to that wonderful sky is about all I would suggest here.