PDA

View Full Version : Spider

Dave Leroy
09-29-2009, 03:34 PM
Another early morning shot, this a spider covered in dew. This is from the underside of spider. 50D, 100mm/2.8 macro lens and 36mm extension tube, 1/20, f/8, ISO400. Dave

Craig Thompson
09-29-2009, 05:14 PM
Well, Dave,

My severe spider phobia aside,.. ;) Nicely done image! You managed some really great DOF @ f8 considering you were shooting with an extension tube to boot!!

Craig

Julie Kenward
09-29-2009, 07:53 PM
For me, this one is a little chaotic - I think I would have preferred him from the other side where I would see spider and web but not web-on-spider. One thing that might help would be to tone down the spider a bit with a midtone levels adjustment. You certainly got a nice ROT's placement - only thing that might have added to that would be to have tilted your camera a bit to get him more on a diagonal.

Harshad Barve
09-29-2009, 09:18 PM
Good DOF with nice details , killer BG
TFS

Vida van der Walt
09-30-2009, 04:41 AM
Hi Dave. I love the dew covered web detail. The spider is sharp and ditto great bg.

Ed Vatza
09-30-2009, 06:11 AM
I think I agree with Jules that it seems a bit chaotic. The background looks great. The spider seems sharp. A personal thing - I really like dew drops on a spider web and it does bother me that the dew drop go oof in the UR corner. Stopping down a bit more might have helped sharpen them up.

Dave Leroy
09-30-2009, 09:14 AM
Yes, I know it does appear chaotic. It seemed that most of the photos for one reason or another appeared chaotic and messy. This one I had the sun at my back and was still at 1/20, although I did have a bit of room on ISO. I was really trying to get a spider encapsulated in dew drops, and I did not get it.
I will keep an eye out for the camera/lens details of the more experienced macro/bug photogs and be better prepared for the next time. Thanks for looking and commenting.
Also, good idea Julie of turning the camera a bit for the diagonal. Dave

Steve Maxson
10-01-2009, 05:31 PM
Hi Dave. I like all the dew drops and the way the spider and web stand out from the background. I don't mind the underneath view of the spider - and it may be easier to get both web and spider sharp that way. As an alternate comp, you might consider moving the spider a little more toward the ULC - allowing for long diagonal lines of web flowing to the LRC.