PDA

View Full Version : On Watch

Bill Foxworthy
02-11-2008, 01:22 PM
Canon 40D, 400mm lens
f/8.0, 1/2000sec, ISO 500 11:am.
C&C welcomed. Had a hard time deciding on this heavy crop but will try this one. :)

Jeff Nadler
02-11-2008, 02:23 PM
Bill, a nice subject. I know that the critique, just a bit steep, is a tough one to recieve, becuase, we know their is no ladder to climb to get a good angle for these type of shots. What would strnegthen such a shot trmendously, if you have ample shooting opportunities, is soem contact ebtween the two birds looking at each other or towards each other. The adult could obviously be in the usual position of watchguard, but it might be more intimate with direction as mentioned.

Jim Poor
02-11-2008, 02:40 PM
The angle doesn't really bother me as this is how I see them all the time. Who ever thought one could get warbler neck from looking at Osprey? I like the intense look in the top bird's eye.

I think it could be strengthened if the lower bird were to have looked up at the other one, but with out mind control at our fingertips . . .

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we are looking at a an adult and a juvenile here as they both have the same color eyes. Juvvies have red eyes, but I'm not sure at what age they turn to orange.

Speaking of eyes, looks like the lower bird winked at you with the membrane a bit.

Bill Foxworthy
02-11-2008, 02:48 PM
Hi Jeff and Jim. Thanks for you comments, I appreciate them highly! I believe this is actually a mating pair. They have been trying for 2 years now and no young ones yet, I think you may be right about the eye Jim as I noticed that, but that was the instant of capture for this young pair. I have imaged this pair togeather and seperate hundreds of times and am still looking for a perfect image! I get images every time I see them and hope for a great image soon, I hope! Have a great day and you have helped me with these critiques! :)

Robert Amoruso
02-11-2008, 03:42 PM
Good that you have ample opportunities at the next. I am looking forward to that killer flight shot Bill.

Image is nicely exposed and processed. The posted JPG quality is excellent.

Lana Hays
02-11-2008, 05:13 PM
Bill
The quality of the exposure, sharpness, and detail are excellent. I'm with Jim in that I expect to see a steep angle when looking at Osprey nests. Obviously you have a chance to spend some quality time with this pair so I'd say your chances of getting some nice interaction....or at least some good eye contact are good. Go get 'em, Bill!!!

Grady Weed
02-11-2008, 07:14 PM
Perhaps crop this one to just the foreground subject?