PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Kingbird out west

Glen Fox
09-28-2009, 08:30 PM
This is my first image post to BPN. Taken near Saskatoon, SK.

Noise reduction on background, cropped, eye was lightened and a small branch was removed.

Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi
capture date: Wednesday, 27 May, 2009
Aperture Priority
ISO speed: 400
shutter speed: 1/3200
aperture: f5.6
exposure bias: -0.7
metering: Spot
light source: Auto
flash: OFF - Compulsory flash mode
focal length: 420.0
lens: 300 mm/f 4 x1.4tc

Lance Peters
09-28-2009, 09:36 PM
Hi Glen - Congrats on your first post - Lots to like here.
Like the pose and the HA - Exposure looks good - I quite like the OOF BG with just enough detail to make it interesting and know it is habitat, has a painterly feel to it.
Bird could stand a little more sharpening perhaps does appear a little soft on my screen, might have swapped some of that shutter speed for some additional DOF depending on how close those BG elements were.

Looking forward to seeing more :)

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
09-28-2009, 09:46 PM
Nice feather details, espectually the black feather around the head. Good HA with lovely eye, the catch light helps bring viewer attention to the eye. Might sharpen a little bit more and try a tighter crop.

Jeff Cashdollar
09-28-2009, 10:20 PM
Glen,

Welcome, nice picture pose and regal composition. To me this would not be the best image to use spot metering. Subject is small and the image looks to be about mid-tone to start with. What did you meter off to justify the -.7?

I like the ISO and shutter speed, techs look good. Nice first post (better than mine) assume it was HH,.. sharpen a tad too. Are you sharpening after the final resizing just prior to posting? I use Smart Sharpening as the final step - well done.

Gus Cobos
09-28-2009, 10:21 PM
Hi Glen,
I like the composition, image and capture. You have fine, sharp feather details with good color rendition...The head angle and sharp, natural looking eye with the catch light is spot on...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Lance Peters
09-28-2009, 10:39 PM
Good pickup Jeff - Likewise not sure why you would use spot metering here.

Kyle Marie Barcelos
09-29-2009, 10:41 AM
Welcome, and nice first post. I really like that BG, how it shows just enough of the branch, Nice HA and sharp on my screen. Great job and TFS:)

Glen Fox
09-30-2009, 06:01 AM
Thank you all for your supportive and useful comments. As for exposure, I was working with spot or partial because I thought the background might overpower the small bird. I have used it quite successfully. I was under exposing because the light was bright, and the XSI has a reputation for over exposing. Now I am trying to expose to the right and rely more on the histogram, especially with the 50D.
GLEN