PDA

View Full Version : Wako Portrait

Lance Warley
02-11-2008, 01:14 PM
Anhinga posing yesterday...40D + 400mm 5.6L @ 5.6 1/320 iso 250

Robert Amoruso
02-11-2008, 01:18 PM
Lance I like the pose and the awkward angle he is pitched at - goes with the expression well. Critical focus is on the chest and not the eye. If you are using all the AF points, the chest is closest to you and one of the points grabbed that. Select a point that is on/near the eye and focus with that, or use the central sensor, lock focus and recompose.

Judy Lynn Malloch
02-11-2008, 02:14 PM
Really love the alert pose in this image Lance and the BG is a nice compliment to the image. Aslo excellent detail in the blacks. I like Robert's suggestion .

Alfred Forns
02-11-2008, 02:50 PM
Fully agree with Robert on the point of focus

Would suggest for these portraits gong tight Love seeing those breeding feathers on the head Large in frame is good !!! Excellent looking bird and bg !!!

Michael Rosenbaum
02-11-2008, 02:57 PM
Good detail, especially in the blacks, Lance. The b/g works well with the anhinga, though you might want to clone out the slightly distracting bright area near the bottom of the frame next to the bird. I guess this is one image where you wouldn't want red-eye reduction!http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif

Fabs Forns
02-11-2008, 04:26 PM
I hate to disagree with my colleagues here, but I do not see the focus in the chest at all. In fact, the plumage looks quite out of focus to me.
I would crop this as a vertical, with less definitely in the right, and some off the left.

Stephen Stephen
02-11-2008, 07:20 PM
Lance I really like the pose in this image. I'm leaning towards the chest as the focus point but with my progressives I wouldn't bet on it. I love the red eye but the catchlight looks a bit unusual to me. It looks as it there is a line (nictitating membrane?) running horizontally across the eye.