PDA

View Full Version : Windflower #2

Craig Thompson
09-28-2009, 03:31 PM
Here is another image of a "Windflower" from the garden.

Nikon D70, 200mm f4 micro (mf), PK-13 extension tube, ISO 400, 1/500 sec @f8, Gitzo tripod.
Full frame, Converted in CS3, light saturation adjustment, light levels adjustment, USM @ 85-100%.

These windflower images are my first experiments and attempts @ shooting images using extension tubes. I like being able to get close enough to fill the frame with the blossoms and the effects achieved with the shallow DOF!

Craig

Ed Vatza
09-29-2009, 05:27 AM
Good morning Craig,

First and foremost, it is important that you like what you've done. I too really like to climb inside of the flower at times. It offers some beautiful perspectives.

From my point of view, I really like the sharpness of the center of the flower and you've really managed the yellows very nicely. Personally, I would like to see more depth of field. Maybe f/11 would have helped a little. The biggest thing that I see here is the oof petal that comes out the front and comes toward my eye. I find that very distracting.

Dave Leroy
09-29-2009, 10:21 AM
I like the sharpeness on the centre of the flower and the stem. However after seeing the earlier posted flower, I am missing the additional green at the flower's centre. As compared to the first post, this one seems to be missing something. This photo also seems to have the peck a boo aspect and as such the oof petal at the front does not to bother me. Dave

Julie Kenward
09-29-2009, 07:50 PM
Craig, it's great to see you using those extension tubes...I LOVE my set! I don't get to use them often enough but when I do I love how you can climb inside a plant and see what you've never seen before.

I think the comp here would have been stronger with more DOF as well - remember that you can usually stop way down with those extension tubes and not worry about the BG much because the falloff on DOF is so drastic. I do like the underneath view (always one of my favorites) but I don't think you left me quite enough of the top part to really get the best sense of the plant. I want to peek over the edge as well to see if I could see just a bit more of that lovely yellow center. It's very close, though...I'd keep plugging away as long as these flowers are in bloom!