PDA

View Full Version : American Golden-Plover

Bill Dix
09-28-2009, 10:31 AM
D90
80-400 VR @ 400mm.
ISO 400; 1/800 s. @ f/5.6
Matrix metering, -0.3EV, Aperture priority, AF-A, HH
Auto WB, warmed up just slightly in RAW and boosted saturation on bird.

Sandy Hook several mornings ago. A pair was strolling along the shoreline, staying close together and keeping just ahead of me. I waited a long time for them to separate just enough to keep from overlapping in the frame.

C&C appreciated.

Bill Dix
09-28-2009, 12:29 PM
PS, I forgot to mention in the first post: can anyone comment on the species? When we saw the pair, my wife and I were convinced they were AGP's, because of the dark wing tips, and reinforced by the fact that the NJ Audubon naturalist's hotline reported seeing AGP's here during the week. But the streaked breast, and perhaps paler cap (?) and smaller bill size (?) might make this a juvi. Black-bellied. Any thoughts from the experts?

Thanks.

Kyle Marie Barcelos
09-28-2009, 03:23 PM
I think your right about the identification, it looks like a juvenile. not sure. Nice low angle sharp eye, nice detail in the feather, like the HA. Great job:)

Lance Peters
09-28-2009, 05:06 PM
Hi Bill - Like the low angle, you have a good HA and eye contact, some of the whites are starting to push the envelope up around the 255 mark in places. Keep a eye on your angle of light - best to have it directly behind you - although of course not always possible.
Could be just my screen - this looks a little contrasty to my eye's.

Keep em coming :)

denise ippolito
09-28-2009, 06:23 PM
Bill, I can confirm the AGP at Sandy Hook. This one looks like one but some of them do look alot like the BBP. Check out the thread in The Avian ID Forum. Art Morris has just chimed in w/ his thoughts! I 'd tone down the whites and open up the eye a bit if it were mine.

Bill Dix
09-28-2009, 07:21 PM
Thanks. Lance, I agree the sun was a bit over my left shoulder; but if I had moved left I would have had an old WWII gun battery ruin in the BG. I have another shot with the bird facing the other way with better light on the face but a less pleasing BG. And yes, it does look a bit contrasty. Denise, I'll check out the Avian ID thread. I saw your Black-bellied Plover post from Sandy Hook the other day, and your recent Semi-Palm was absolutely gorgeous. I half expected to run into you at North Beach on Thursday morning. Thank you both for the comments.

denise ippolito
09-28-2009, 07:30 PM
Bill, I usually don't run into anyone during the week and I avoid that place on the weekends. I might be going Wednesday.

Bill Dix
09-28-2009, 08:01 PM
Hope you find some good birds. We're looking for warblers at the Institute Woods on Wednesday. I'm sure we'll run into you at Sandy Hook one of these days.

Gus Cobos
09-28-2009, 10:10 PM
Hi Bill,
I like the low capture angle and color rendition, you have good sharp details with a good head angle and sharp eye...agree with Mr. Peters on the whites that could be toned down...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
09-28-2009, 10:28 PM
Nice big round eye and beautiful feather pattern. Good low angle shot that show enough of the environment, love all the bubbles in the water.