150mm
1/40"
F2.8
ISO 800
EC -0.33

pre sunrise

Cheryl Flory
09-28-2009, 05:22 AM
oops, forgot to give the rest of the info, again.
Took this early yesterday morning while waiting for a gorgeous sunrise which didn't happen. (weather report lied again!)

I had the camera set on cloudy since it was so overcast and the image came out very strong blue. I even desaturated it a lot in post processing! I also cropped some from the left, and a little from the top, bottom, and right. Now that I look at it, I kind of like the longer view with more to the left, but the deer blend in so much that you nearly lose them.

too blue/strange? what do you think?

Hilary Hann
09-28-2009, 05:42 AM
The blue gives a very cold feel to the image, but that's what it's probably like at that time. I like the way the light reflects onto the water and that the leading deer is between two reflections. I don't find it strange at all.

Jeff Cashdollar
09-28-2009, 12:24 PM
I like deer images, for me this is too blue (might try adjusting Kelvin more). Does not look naturan and 1/40 slow for moving deer - hence the slight OOF movement.

That being said, if the subjects were sharper and larger in frame the look could change. I do like the different look and I understand the weather thing. I live in Middle Tn and it has rained for 9 days.

Cheryl Flory
09-28-2009, 12:55 PM
Jeff, my question is do you change the color/Kelvin if the other colors are accurate?

Kyle Marie Barcelos
09-28-2009, 03:08 PM
Like the color, but i just keep looking at the bridge then the deer, maybe if you got lower so not so much of the bridge was in the shot, then you could of PS the rest out. TFS :)

Jeff Cashdollar
09-28-2009, 03:14 PM
Cherly,

When I start with an image after I crop I set the W/B and color temp. They go hand in hand to me. I try and let the W/B keep things real (it is controlling to me) and move the kelvin a little to warm things a bit. Hope that helps, as you know its all about feel anyway.

Usually cloudy W/B is a brown/pinkish tint (someting like that) prior to any other adjustments, IMO I could be wrong Cherly. I see that in the tree highlights and tint on the bridge.

Cheryl Flory
09-28-2009, 04:10 PM
Jeff, I went back and used the gray eyedropper on the cement of the bridge. (the white or black eye dropper on any spot made the image even more blue.) then darkened the bridge since it stood out too much.

what do you think of it now?

Lance Peters
09-28-2009, 04:57 PM
Hi Cheryl - the blue certainly gives it a chilly feel - the original was just a tad to blue for my tastes - do like the repost better, I would crop a little from the LHS to get rid of the bit of tree there.
Do you have Aties - Digital Basics??
:)

Hilary Hann
09-28-2009, 06:18 PM
Hi Cheryl, I like the repost much better although I agree about cropping a little from the LHS. More detail apparent in the repost as well.

Jeff Cashdollar
09-28-2009, 10:00 PM
Much better, sharper and interesting, ditto crop advise. Notice how the light/reflections on water look so much better and the fur is natural, this looks real - well done!!!

Gus Cobos
09-28-2009, 10:03 PM
Hi Cheryl,
I like the final repost with the color correction...:cool:

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
09-28-2009, 11:08 PM
I do like the repost better, the color looks more real and I can see more details espectually the foliage in the background.

However the original does hold some merits for me. To me it tells a story of deers coming back from a cold night out. However, I'm not too fancy about the green frame arond the original picture.