PDA

View Full Version : The Webs They Weave

Dave Leroy
09-27-2009, 09:46 PM
Taken the other morning as the sun was coming up. I turned the camera diagonal to get the ff shot, although I cropped a bit off the left side. 50D, 400/5.6 at 5.6, 1/350, ISO 400. I normally use a tripod and almost never mention it, so this is off a tripod. Dave

arash_hazeghi
09-28-2009, 02:38 AM
I like this one, where is the spider :D ?

Harshad Barve
09-28-2009, 09:45 AM
this is beautiful image with Killer BG ,
TFS

Harshad Barve
09-28-2009, 09:45 AM
where is the spider :D ?
Ditto Arash here

Dave Leroy
09-28-2009, 01:20 PM
Ahh yes the spider. Well I did take a photo of spider with 400mm and all the extension tubes I own, 68mm, but I chickened out. It is a pretty high level on talent on BPN and I have been embarrased before. I went back out this morning with a macro and will post a shot. Thanks for looking and commenting.

Ed Vatza
09-28-2009, 01:33 PM
You should never feel embarrassed here. Remember what doesn't kill ends up making you a better a photographer. Even the best here have been known to toss up a clunker or two every now and then.

That said, I love the color of the background. It helps that orange is my favorite color. And I like the actual web. It's all the connecting stuff both in and out of focus that is bothering me here. There really isn't much you can do about it besides working other angles to find the best perspective with the least distractions.

I posted a web image a little while back and said back then that I passed up hundreds of webs until I found just the right one without any of the distractions.

Valerio Tarone
09-28-2009, 01:57 PM
Hi David The BG is amazing but,I think the left part is a bit confused and distracting from the geometric texture. You crop morew on the left. Nice light!

Anita Bower
09-29-2009, 08:23 AM
The colors, tones and lines in this image are lovely. I see what others mean about the distractions, but they don't bother me all that much. I would like to see a crop that emphasizes the actual web.
I know what you mean about being embarrassed. I often have to get up my courage to post an image. It gets easier with time. Plus, everyone on this forum is gentle in providing constructive critiques. I have learned so much from the mistakes I post. In fact, images that can be improved are the most useful to post.

Dave Leroy
09-29-2009, 10:07 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments. I can see what you mean by having a simpler photo with
the emphasis on just one web. With this photo it was my intent to show the many intertangled webs and also some of the symmetry that can occur in a field of webs.
Also, ED and Anita, I appreciate your comments about my posting of pictures. My comment about having been embarrassed in the past was perhaps a poor choice of words and not meant to convey any sense at all about my lack of willingness to post photos. I took the comment by Arash and Harshad as a bit of a jest in a spirit of good nature, and I attempted to respond in kind.
To be completely honest with you I did post a very lacklustre photo sometime ago; I was embarrased; I was treated very gently and honestly by both moderators and others. I took it as a good thing for me, and it meant I needed to become more serious about my efforts.
This particular website has more top notch photographers than others I have seen, and the positive use of cc's raises the bar quite high. I see that as a very positive thing for anyone who would like to improve their photography. Thanks Again. Dave

Vida van der Walt
09-30-2009, 04:37 AM
Hi Dave. I know about feeling a bit scared to post here. I feel posting has helped me overcome my reluctance to work on the bg of my images and is helping me improve the overall quality of my shots. Agree on the beautiful warm colour of this image and you captured great detail in the web. Ditto the crop.

Jerry van Dijk
10-01-2009, 02:18 AM
Excellent image Dave. Everything seems right. Wonderful BG, great colors, wonderful light on the web and excellent diagonal of the subject. I think the OOF wires in the BG add to the power of the image. I think a cleaner shot will also mean a less appealing one. Now they make your eye go round and round, each time coming back to the central subject. I like it when an image does that. It would be a problem if it would attract the eye away from the subject and linger there.
Great work! I would love to see that spider closup!
- Jerry -