PDA

View Full Version : Bully

Connie Mier
09-26-2009, 08:29 PM
I know some consider gull photos a slow day ;), but I find these guys to be so much fun to photograph. On Biscayne Bay there are a few sponge farms where the gulls perch most of the day. I hung out with them to capture some of their interactions, like this one. As far as I can tell, these are laughing gulls in winter plumage.
Sony a700, 70-400mm Sony lens
f5.6, 1/1600, ISO200, shot at 320mm, handheld vertically
PP: canvas added on the right, sharpened the birds' heads
Connie

Jeff Cashdollar
09-26-2009, 09:53 PM
Lot's to like here, techs are solid and great detail in whites. Nice action shot, I like the vertical frame and the low ISO was a good call here. Given plenty of light. Not sure about crop, could be play in both top and bottom. Let's see what others say - its mostly about feel anyway. Well done Connie, this was a challenging picture, action shot, bright whites, two birds - congrats.

Ákos Lumnitzer
09-27-2009, 12:15 AM
You did well, especially if you don't have a vertical grip. Captured some great action Connie. I love the top bird, looks mighty mighty mean! :) Techs appear spot on.

Harshad Barve
09-27-2009, 07:15 AM
fantastic capture , nice details , beautifuly freezed
TFS

denise ippolito
09-27-2009, 01:08 PM
Connie, Really nice action captured here and it almost looks like a painting. The soft blue sky is very appealing to me. I love both of the open beaks. (Two dark spots in BG mid-wing right of the large gull).

Connie Mier
09-27-2009, 06:39 PM
Thank you everyone, glad I am getting the right exposure on these guys. Denise, good eye and thanks for catching that!

denise ippolito
09-27-2009, 08:41 PM
Connie, I meant to tell you -I love your Vulture silhouette image that you have on your blog. The blue sky looks so nice as a backdrop for the black and the wispy pine needles add alot.