PDA

View Full Version : Star Trails.....

Euan Reid
09-26-2009, 07:23 PM
Aboot 3 hours of stacked frames... i omit the second frame in the stack and for the last 100 frames the opacity of each consecutive layer is reduced by a few percent until zero to give the tail a taper.

MkIIn... 30sec exposures... iso 400... 17-40mm @ f 4.0... hand held... LOL... :D (j/k)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3226/3073259174_9cea90df86_o.jpg

Harold Davis
09-26-2009, 07:49 PM
looks pretty cool to me! the trees frame it nicely.

why not just use bulb? dont know much about this type of stuff, but just seems easier to me.

Roman Kurywczak
09-27-2009, 10:06 AM
Hi Euan,
Welcome to the forum! You did a nice job with the stacking and it looks seamless. I know the goal is to get the circle but I'm not the biggest fan of the central placement even though it is framed by the trees....I would have preferred just the RH ones with the N star placed a bit more left in the ROT position. This does show the difference of the arc sizes really well....from smaller central ones to the long sweeps of the outside arcs. I admire your perseverance in sitting for 3 hours.....30 seconds at a time!.........this is one of the places film still does a great job......I would lock the shtter open for 3 hours....set the alarm......and take a nap!
All in all a nice job with the night exposure and looking forward to more!

Dave Leroy
09-27-2009, 10:22 PM
Very interesting photo Euan. I like the gun barrel effect which the trees help to frame nicely. Neat to see the different colours. Looking forward to more. Dave

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
09-28-2009, 07:16 PM
Great job Euan, good placement of the trees and welcome.

Robert Amoruso
09-29-2009, 09:31 AM
Euan,

Welcome to BPN and the landscape forum.

As mentioned I like the tree placement - to me that makes all the difference.

I am partial to the central placement of the north star. Gives it a severe vertigo affect.