PDA

View Full Version : B&W landscape

arash_hazeghi
09-26-2009, 06:15 PM
Crystal Springs reservoir near San Mateo, CA.

Does it work or not?

http://www.stanford.edu/~ahazeghi/Photos/birds/DSC_5026.jpg

Tech is D700 with 24-70G @24mm f/8 ISO200, cropped and used channel mixer in LR.

Harold Davis
09-26-2009, 07:47 PM
the processing looks good. you got some nice depth here. one thing i would do if you have it is to add some more to the bottom. the biggest tree on the bottom frame edge center left is cut and i think it would be better if it was added in completely. the other thing is some limbs that are jutting into the frame on the right just above the pampas grasses. i'd clean those up. i like how the water travels diagonally through the frame.

silver efex pro is a nice plugin for black and white conversions. gives you a lot of options and is relatively inexpensive. may want to give the free trial a look over.

Roman Kurywczak
09-27-2009, 09:56 AM
Hi Arash,
I think compositionally this works but the PP'ing of the B&W needs some tweaks. I like the fog and the way the water leads you to the mountains.

I agree with Harold on the RH tree so in the repost I eliminated it (combination of crop/clone/patch) as it drew the eye too much. I also did a small clean up up front of a few twigs. The major tonal changes were done with a S/H adjustment on the sky to tone down the clouds and the rest were levels layers along with B/C and a final bit of dodging and burning. changes the mood....but it does show you where you can take this if you so chose. Varying those levels and contrast layers will give you the final look that you will like. Let me know what you think.

Harold Davis
09-27-2009, 09:59 AM
more pop..not as flat now. nice job, roman!!

arash_hazeghi
09-27-2009, 04:47 PM
Thanks Roman, I like it certainly more pop than the original.

Dave Leroy
09-27-2009, 10:25 PM
Yes, the repost has more pop. Good eye for the scene and the b/w idea Arash. I like it. Dave

Robert Amoruso
09-29-2009, 09:32 AM
Aras,

I am in 100% agreement with Roman's suggestions and repost.

Indranil Sircar
09-29-2009, 03:13 PM
Nice composition, Arash. I like the jagged coast and the diagonal lines. I like Roman's repost.