PDA

View Full Version : Two cranes

Roy Priest
09-26-2009, 03:23 PM
With a better, I hope, understanding of PS I went and revisited a shot from earlier this year.
Camera: NIKON D90
Lens: AF-S Nikkor 300mm F4D IF-ED
Focal length: 300 mm (equiv. 450 mm)
Aperture: F4.5
Exposure time: 1/320"
ISO speed rating: 640/29°
Program: Aperture priority
Metering Mode: Pattern
White Balance: Auto
Focus Mode: AF-C
Image Stabilizer: Off
Noise Reduction: Off
Flash: Flash did not fire

I selected the birds and softened the background but I think it's rather bland, background that is. Any suggestions on added some interest to the background.

Ben Egbert
09-26-2009, 04:40 PM
I like this other than the oof rear bird. Just a personal thing here and I am just a beginner. It will be informative to me to hear what others say.

Lance Peters
09-26-2009, 07:19 PM
Hi Ben - Like where you were heading here - OOF background subjects that mirror the main subject can work very well, you have to be very careful with the positioning of the OOF subject in the BG for it to work.

Here the bird in the BG sits too high and too directly behind the foreground bird - needed to get him lower and a little more separation between them - I am always on the lookout for opportunities like this - its a hard shot to get - everything just has to come together at the same time.

Keep at it and keep em coming :)

Gus Cobos
09-26-2009, 08:18 PM
Hi Roy,
I like the idea, but the oof bird in the background is too prominent and takes away from your main subject...agree with Mr. Peters advise...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
09-27-2009, 01:35 PM
Your main bird is very sharp with fine details, wish that your background bird is more seperate from the main one. Also might try to run NR on the head of the background bird too.

Cheryl Flory
09-27-2009, 06:40 PM
would it help by just darkening the background bird?

Kyle Marie Barcelos
09-28-2009, 02:06 PM
Would work if the oof bird was right behind and only showing a little bit, but it is too much. The in focus bird looks good, sharp eye, good detail. TFS:)

Roy Priest
09-28-2009, 07:49 PM
Hi Ben - Like where you were heading here - OOF background subjects that mirror the main subject can work very well, you have to be very careful with the positioning of the OOF subject in the BG for it to work.

Here the bird in the BG sits too high and too directly behind the foreground bird - needed to get him lower and a little more separation between them - I am always on the lookout for opportunities like this - its a hard shot to get - everything just has to come together at the same time.

Keep at it and keep em coming :)

Lance, thanks for the advice I'll certainly be on the lookout for a better balanced shot in the future.

Roy Priest
09-28-2009, 07:50 PM
Hi Roy,
I like the idea, but the oof bird in the background is too prominent and takes away from your main subject...agree with Mr. Peters advise...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

THanks Gus, hopefully I'll be able to get out more in the future, I'm dealing with a bum leg at the moment.

Roy Priest
09-28-2009, 07:51 PM
Your main bird is very sharp with fine details, wish that your background bird is more seperate from the main one. Also might try to run NR on the head of the background bird too.

I thought of doing just that but I'll use this until I get a better shot. Thanks for looking.

Roy Priest
09-28-2009, 07:53 PM
would it help by just darkening the background bird?

Cheryl, I did think of that but due to the advice of the bird being too close and too high I think I'll just wait for a better image.:)

Roy Priest
09-28-2009, 07:54 PM
Would work if the oof bird was right behind and only showing a little bit, but it is too much. The in focus bird looks good, sharp eye, good detail. TFS:)

Thanks for looking and commenting on my image.