PDA

View Full Version : Fly nightmare

Jerry van Dijk
09-26-2009, 03:19 PM
This one is for all you bug-haters out there (you know who you are);). Still working on those carnivorous plants and thought this one offered an interesting different perspective on the Venus flytrap. Had to repair some blown highlights on the "teeth" and added some vignetting to make the plant stand out more from the BG and to add a little darkening mood.

- Jerry -

http://i35.tinypic.com/2eewght.jpg</a>

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, handheld, 48 mm (300 mm eq.) with Suntec 4+ closeup lens, ISO-100, F/7.1, 1/30 sec, pattern metering, EC -1.2, RAW.
(http://i35.tinypic.com/2eewght.jpg)

Steve Maxson
09-26-2009, 04:48 PM
Hi Jerry. (I find "bugs" endlessly fascinating, but I like these carnivorous plants too. :) ). I like the look into the open "mouth" that you have captured here. The comp also works well with the large main leaf and the smaller one in the LRC. You might consider toning down the brighter background areas in the URC a little more as my eye wants to go there. Well done.

Julie Kenward
09-26-2009, 06:03 PM
Neat image, Jerry. I would also tone down that URC as my eye really travels up there and hangs out.

I'd also consider cloning out the stick/branch that's at the base of the stem running parallel to the plant itself. I think the comp would feel cleaner and be stronger with these two tweaks.

Nice work on toning down the teeth BTW - I don't think I would have guessed you did that so good work!

Dave Leroy
09-26-2009, 09:07 PM
Very nicely done Jerry. I like the suggestion of toning down URC. I really like the look of the large trap with the lovely colours. The smaller traps also add to the photo. Well done. Dave

Desmond Chan
09-27-2009, 12:27 AM
Fine suggestions given above. Just want to say I wish you had stopped down more.

Mike Moats
09-27-2009, 07:56 AM
Hey Jerry I think the points are valid, but I don't mind highlights on a subject as it show the directional light in the scene even when it blows out a little color, and don't mind the light in the URC. I do agree on cloning out the stick. Like the overall comp.

Harshad Barve
09-27-2009, 07:57 AM
nice compo & subject ,
Agreed with suggations give above
TFS

Ed Vatza
09-27-2009, 10:21 AM
Not a whole lot more to add. A couple of the teeth on the right side still look hot. I do like how you've got the subject to pop against the background. Nice!

Vida van der Walt
09-27-2009, 10:41 AM
Ek hou van die foto Jerry. Wel gedaan. Afrikaans en Nederlands is so baie dieselfde dat ek dink jy sal die Afrikaans verstaan.:)
Nice shot of an interesting plant. Suggestions covered. As you can probably guess, I'm not part of the bug-hater club.;)

Jerry van Dijk
09-27-2009, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the comments and compliments. I actually worked on that URC, but decided that it created too much of an unnatural look. I'll work on that stick, shouldn't pose too much of a problem.
Desmond, I tried stopping down more to get rid of those hot teeth, but found that the leaf didn't stand out that nice from the BG as it does now.
Vida, ek versta die Afrikaans zeker! Dank je wel.
- Jerry -