PDA

View Full Version : A study in black and yellow

Vida van der Walt
09-26-2009, 02:18 PM
Black-spot Flower Crabspider and prey. This is the biggest crabspider I've found to date. It is amazing how well these spiders blend in with the flowers they sit on.
Canon 5D Mark11; MP E 65mm; MT 24EX
apert f16; ss1/125; iso 200
crop, shrp, nr, levels, slight desaturation of yellows (not that it helps much, you almost need sunglasses to view this :))

Jerry van Dijk
09-26-2009, 03:25 PM
Hi Vida, you've got a good eye for finding these spiders! As you say, this one is especially impressive and yellow. Again, wonderful detail and awesom DOF. I do find the slightly tilted angle you got on the spider a bit distracting, but nonetheless a great image.
- Jerry -

Steve Maxson
09-26-2009, 04:59 PM
Hi Vida. Outstanding sharpness and I love those colors. It's pretty easy to see why the prey items don't see the spider until it's too late. If this was mine, the only tweak I would make would be to add a bit to the bottom so the yellow petal doesn't touch the frame edge - a minor point. Very well done.

Julie Kenward
09-26-2009, 06:01 PM
Perfect saturation on the yellows, Vida and wow...what an array of yellows there are! It really adds interest to the image overall that there are so many different tonalities and hues going on.

As always, your focal point is razor sharp and everything in the image works well together.

One question for you...did you decide to go with a black BG on purpose or is this just how the image turned out? I'm curious to know what you were thinking as you made this.

Dave Leroy
09-26-2009, 09:14 PM
Wow! What a super job. I was so engrossed with looking at all the details of the fly, I did not notice the spider, and then it took me awhile for all of that to sink in. Love the contrast of the fly and flower/spider. Very well focussed. Good job. Dave

Harshad Barve
09-27-2009, 07:54 AM
very well done here , nice compo , great yellows and sharpness
TFS

Mike Moats
09-27-2009, 07:59 AM
Hey Vida, a spectacular image, great details and the yellow really makes it ll pop, only wish it had a natural BG rather then the black.

Vida van der Walt
09-27-2009, 10:06 AM
Thank you all very much for your comments. Steve, I agree with you on the petal touching the bottom. Julie and Mike, the black was not on purpose. I don't like an unnatural bg but sometimes it is unavoidable. I could have tried to pull a leaf closer but was worried that it will disturb the spider to the extent that she will drop her catch.:)

Ed Vatza
09-27-2009, 10:59 AM
Excellent color and detail. The yellows are handled perfectly to my eye. And the black background really doesn't bother me at all but then I tend to like black backgrounds! :)

Stu Bowie
09-28-2009, 10:30 AM
Hi Vida, amazing camoflauge from the crabspider, and just love those multiple eyes. The left legs of the spider look quite eerie, and quite ghostly. Tightness covered, and overall well captured.

Anita Bower
09-29-2009, 08:27 AM
I think all has been said about this lovely image. It took me a few seconds to see the yellow spider. Never knew they came in this fabulous color. Well done!

Vida van der Walt
09-30-2009, 04:15 AM
Thank you Anita. I was fortunate to spot it as they are so well camouflaged. I'm glad you like it.:)