PDA

View Full Version : Twin Lights of Navesink (Highlands, NJ)

Ed Vatza
09-26-2009, 02:00 PM
I've always liked this lighthouse but have found it very difficult to photograph as it sits high on a hill with houses surrounding the grounds and extending all the way down. I've tried from the grounds but even at 10mm, you can barely fit both towers in a single image. And I have tried from several locations on Sandy Hook and have never been satisfied with the image.

So this morning it was time to try something very different. Sandy Hook was a total bust as far as birds were concerned. And all I had with me were two bodies and two lenses (a 24-70 on a 30D and a 300/2x combo on a 50D). While standing on the boardwalk across from the visitors center, I looked up at the lighthouse and thought I'd give it a shot with the 50D and 300 2.8 w/2x. That's an effective focal length of 960mm which was fine because I was one heck of a long way from the lighthouse.

Anyway in PP, I ended up making some typical adjustments and cropping the image somewhat before taking it into Topaz Adjust where I used the "Spicify" preset and made some adjustments from there. I then desatured the image and, after looking at the black and white version, decided I needed to go sepia. As a final touch, I added a bit of vignetting in the corners.

1/400 sec @ f/8.0; ISO 400; +2/3 EV; Sunny WB

Dave Phillips
09-26-2009, 03:09 PM
really like the almost Midieval look of this structure.
Nice tone job and comp.....as a suggestion, what a bout a bit
of light to shape the structure and some sharpening of same?

denise ippolito
09-26-2009, 04:24 PM
Ed, I like Dave's repost and feel that sharpening and lighting the structure is just what it needed. I might still take a small slice off the top. Nicely done.

Julie Kenward
09-27-2009, 08:59 AM
I also thought the image could use a little burning and dodging to bring out the different light levels a bit more but what REALLY got my attention was the structure - I tried three different ways to get it level and finally had to go with transform/skew pulling the LLC down and the ULC up to get it to look level. (Yes, it's OOF - I accidentally resized it on output...just look at the leveling and ignore my uploading skills!)

See what you think Ed...

Dave Phillips
09-27-2009, 09:07 AM
................what REALLY got my attention was the structure - I tried three different ways to get it level and finally had to go with transform/skew pulling the LLC down and the ULC up to get it to look level. ......................

Jules, I think you may be misreading the structure as the towers have slightly canted
walls. To me, your version appears to be leaning way to the right.
Exactly where do you see the level issue?

Ed Vatza
09-27-2009, 09:50 AM
Hey Jules,

I have to agree with Dave on this one. I do see your point though because before leaving it alone, I tried several attempts at straightening before giving up and realizing it is, in fact, straight as shot. I think there is a bit of an illusion present because of the angle of the structure and the angle from which the image was made.

Dave Mills
09-27-2009, 11:31 AM
Hi Ed, Agree that Jules repost is leaning to the right. Your positioning seems correct to my eye. I like the sepia approach and agree about a small crop from the top. Comparing your post and Dave's repost I think the lighting should be somewhere in between.