PDA

View Full Version : Building the nest.....

Rosl Roessner
02-11-2008, 11:07 AM
There are lots of fantastic pictures of the herons in this forum here, but nevertheless I am very happy, that I found some of them building their nests here in Germany. Usually here they are really skittish, but I had some birds at not too far distance today.
This is the first time I came close enough to that beautiful bird and I want to share my image with you. :)

I did not clone the oof trees, because I think they emphasize the nesting activities. Do you think, I should remove them?

Mark III Canon 100-400
f 5.6 / 1/3200 sec./ ISO 800
+ 2/3 Exposure comp.

Jim Poor
02-11-2008, 11:18 AM
To a degree, I think you are right about the trees, but I would certainly get rid of the three "sticks" that just barely enter the frame along the bottom edge. The second, taller tree in front of the bird bothers me in that it comes too close to the subject.
I'm not sure which way I would deal with it though; I'd probably either "trim" some of the tips off, or get rid of it all together.

Blurring that second tree might be an option too. I'll be interested in other thoughts for sure.

Judy Lynn Malloch
02-11-2008, 11:28 AM
Really like the action your captured here and I do agree about removing the trees as they seem a bit distracting. The fact that you were able to capture a little of the topside of the GBH is a nice bonus. thanks for sharing.

Rosl Roessner
02-11-2008, 11:43 AM
Hm, do you think it's allowed to repost the picture without the oof trees?
So you can see both ideas?

Jim Poor
02-11-2008, 11:59 AM
From what I have seen / done, reposts of the same image in the original thread to show changes seem to be just fine.

Alfred Forns
02-11-2008, 12:04 PM
Rosl you can re-post the new image as a reply and leave the original alone

I think they are two different images with or without Each has its place and would chose according to need I like the trees for the same reason you left them in frame My Main suggestion for the next encounter is keeping the shutter pressed and take as many as you can It will give you the best chance for a great wing position The bent wings are never attractive since the underside will be very dark

I usually start when the bird is at my sun angle and stop just as he goes by Birds going away don't look good I like this image a lot Can only imagine with different wing position Big Congrats !!!!

Rosl Roessner
02-11-2008, 12:33 PM
Thanks for looking at my picture. This is now without the trees.
There was no chance for a better wing position, as the sun was too high. I have some images with different wing position, but much more really dark areas.

Stephen Stephen
02-11-2008, 12:46 PM
Rosl I like both posts but prefer your second version.

Judy Lynn Malloch
02-11-2008, 01:01 PM
Rosi I too like both posts but prefer the second as well. Thanks for reposting.

Gautam Biswas
02-11-2008, 01:06 PM
Rosi, I like to leave images with the habitat where they make the story, so like the first one. The second too is good on its own merit. The only bothersome aspect is the loss of detail in the left underwing of the bird.