PDA

View Full Version : Scissor-tailed Flycatcher in flight

Jason G. Harrison
09-26-2009, 10:07 AM
This spring I was lucky enough to find this bird again. Last year, it nested in a specific tree and this is where I found it this spring. The male showed up, then about 3 weeks later the female did. They again nested in the same tree, nearly the same branch. These are quite uncommon this far north and east in Missouri and it was indeed a pleasure to watch them. One day I caught this male returning to the nest site after hunting a grassy field. This species is tough to follow (at least for me) in flight as they are very acrobatic in how they bank and turn so quickly going after insects, etc...

Taken with a D300, 600VR, f/4.5, ISO 400, 1/4000 ss, -.7EV.

http://www.jasongharrison.com/images/6439_33_M.jpg
Hope you enjoyed.

Jason

Ramon M. Casares
09-26-2009, 10:12 AM
What ans outstanding bird! Amzing pose, exposure, BG, colors and detail! Nice comp too. I would only try to remove the OOF branches that I find too distracting.
Very nice though. Big congratulations!

Scott Frye
09-26-2009, 12:00 PM
Great color and action on the bird -- agree about the branches and if it were mine might play around a bit with custom crops before cloning out the branches

Axel Hildebrandt
09-26-2009, 12:51 PM
Cool bird and cool pose. I agree that the branches in the lower right are a bit distracting and I would tone down the highlights some more.

Daniel Cadieux
09-26-2009, 02:08 PM
The size of the tail makes the wings look relatively small! Great approaching pose, and agree toning down some of the highlights would be beneficial. Too bad about those branches, but they do offer us an idea of where this guy is about to land - just wish they weren't so large.

Ákos Lumnitzer
09-26-2009, 03:38 PM
That's a pretty awesome capture man! Shame about the branches, but still an incredibly good catch for ya! I would darken it a touch. :)

Arsdel Fluesmeier
09-26-2009, 04:52 PM
Very nice color and action with this bird. The colors are very good. I remember how difficult it was to
catch one flying. Well done.

Arthur Morris
09-26-2009, 06:52 PM
Killer bird, pose, SH, and light. Cleaning up the dead wood might be a good plan if it fits with your personal ethics.

Jason G. Harrison
09-26-2009, 07:37 PM
Thanks for all the replies. As far as the branches go in the LRH corner, that is just too much for me to remove or edit. I will do minor tweaks here and there, but that much cloning or manipulation is just not for me. I have no problems with those that do it, but I prefer not to get into an image that deep. I have added canvas before on certain images, but nothing like this. Sure enjoying this site, I am so glad I stumbled across it. It is now a must visit multiple times a day for me! Soon will be joining up as a member as well.

Nate Chappell
09-27-2009, 11:30 AM
Wow, a great shot, love the spread tail, the branches don't bother me much and I agree with your take on that much cloning, congrats!

Fernando Cerra
09-27-2009, 03:34 PM
Great pose !

Harshad Barve
09-29-2009, 02:30 AM
killer bird , awesome pose , BG
TFS

david cramer
09-29-2009, 07:14 AM
Wonderful catch! Very nice pose.