PDA

View Full Version : Crabapple Tree

Julie Kenward
09-25-2009, 09:00 PM
I finally got out and about with my camera today! This was a branch from a crabapple tree I found at my first stop. I purposefully tried to get the front branch in focus and the second branch more diffused. I did clone out a few small pieces to help clarify the definition between the two.

Canon 40D, EF 70-200mm f/4L
f5/6 @ 1/1250th, ISO 400 (I had been shooting in the shade of the tree)
Processed in ACR & CS4; small crop, levels adjustment, small cloning

Dave Leroy
09-25-2009, 11:59 PM
Good idea Julie. Nice combination of colours and shapes and the diffused effect. Dave

Harshad Barve
09-26-2009, 12:28 AM
lovely OOF effect and nice concept , BG is good
TFS

Gordon Craig
09-26-2009, 04:43 AM
I really like the OOF background affect. In the background there are a couple grouping of three crabapples. I would have probably picked 2 crabapples from each grouping leaving all single crabapples.

Vida van der Walt
09-26-2009, 01:14 PM
Lovely shot Julie. I like the dof and colour combination in this. Great comp too.

Steve Maxson
09-26-2009, 04:30 PM
Hi Julie. I like what you're trying to do here. Good sharpness on the foreground branch and a nice background. On the other hand, I find the OOF branch competing for my attention - partly because of the overlap with the foreground branch and partly because of the bright highlights on the OOF crabapples that draw my eye. IMO, tweaking the comp and toning down those highlights would make for a stronger image. (Evidently, mine is a minority opinion here. :) )

Julie Kenward
09-26-2009, 05:56 PM
I find the OOF branch competing for my attention - partly because of the overlap with the foreground branch and partly because of the bright highlights on the OOF crabapples that draw my eye.
Actually, Steve, that was kind of my point. I, too, found my eyes bobbing back and forth between the two branches while I was shooting them and thought "Why not try to do it on purpose?" I know it's not the typical point of a photographic image (to only have one focal point) but I went with it anyway. I'm a big fan of seeing past the one focal point to the second minor one in some cases and this, to me, seemed to work.

I do totally respect your opinion not to love it like I do, though! :)

Steve Maxson
09-26-2009, 08:30 PM
Actually, Steve, that was kind of my point. I, too, found my eyes bobbing back and forth between the two branches while I was shooting them and thought "Why not try to do it on purpose?" I know it's not the typical point of a photographic image (to only have one focal point) but I went with it anyway. I'm a big fan of seeing past the one focal point to the second minor one in some cases and this, to me, seemed to work.

I do totally respect your opinion not to love it like I do, though! :)
Hey Jules - Different strokes for different folks, you know. :) :) - and thanks for the followup.

Jerry van Dijk
09-27-2009, 01:36 PM
Hi Julie, wonderful detail and very nice light. I like the idea of the OOF repetition in the BG. I would have liked to see the OOF branch not overlapping with the one in the foreground, but just below it.
- Jerry -

Anita Bower
09-29-2009, 06:09 AM
I like the simplicity of this image--in the few colors and in the composition. Nice shadows to define the fuit. I like it a lot.