PDA

View Full Version : Great Horned Owl

Bernie Howe
09-25-2009, 08:00 PM
I came across this Great Horned Owl, at the Gilbert Riparian, on the morning I was first trying out my new better beamer. Being new to using flash, I am curious to see what comments and suggestions anyone has. Thanks

http://members.cox.net/bphowe/2009_1137.jpg

Model - Canon EOS 50D
400mm 5.6L
Orientation - Top left
ShutterSpeedValue - 1/400 seconds
ApertureValue - F 5.60
ExposureBiasValue - -0.33
MaxApertureValue - F 5.66
MeteringMode - Partial
Flash - Flash fired, Compulsory flash mode
FocalLength - 400 mm

Ákos Lumnitzer
09-25-2009, 08:15 PM
HI Bernie
I think you handled it well! Nice shot and I think a vertical crop would look better; just too much negative space (and busy) to the left. The bottom is a little tight too, but not that bad. The admins will probably contact you (if not already done so) that you should be using your full name here. :)

Arthur Morris
09-25-2009, 08:25 PM
I do like the drooped wings. Excellent comments above. The biggest problem for me is that the bird is in filtered light. Using more flash would have evened out the light a bit. Folks need to realize that their flash techniques do not change when they are using a beamer. If you have a hose that fills a bucket and then shuts off automatically, all you have to do is stick the hose in the bucket and turn the water on. If you have a fat hose that also shuts off automatically, all that you have to do is stick the hose in the bucket and turn the water on. A beamer is exactly the same as the fat hose....

Harshad Barve
09-25-2009, 10:20 PM
Big wecome to BPN and lot of great advise given above
TFS

Bernie Howe
09-25-2009, 10:31 PM
I've trid to enter my last name and don't know how. Funny last name is Howe

Raymond Barlow
09-26-2009, 03:23 AM
I don't like the dropped wings., as most raptors look like this when they are very hungry and weak., and honestly, they are not far from death., best advise is to leave them alone at once.

Ákos Lumnitzer
09-26-2009, 04:49 PM
I've trid to enter my last name and don't know how. Funny last name is Howe

Now you cracked me up mate. :) Just contact James Shadle and he'll fix.