PDA

View Full Version : Banana Spider from Merritt Island NWR - Biolab Rd.

Robert Amoruso
09-25-2009, 04:44 PM
Banana Spider from Merritt Island NWR - Biolab Rd.

Canon 5D Mark II
17-40mm @ 28mm
1/400 sec, f/22
Mode: Av
Metering: Evaluative
ISO: 800

The 200kb posting limit caused this to go down in IQ and I got some posterization in the sky. The spider's web was at knee level and due to its location did not allow me to get low so this was taken holding the camera below my knees and not looking through it. This image had the best juxtiposition with the BG palms but I would have liked to gotten more of the FG growth and the nice arching frame it made. But all in all came out pretty good for not looking through the viewfinder. Liveview not an option either due to location.

Note really Marco but I chose the 17-40 to get the close-up focusing. Even at f/22 did not get FG to BG sharpness. If the moderators feel this is better in Wildlife, please move.

Steve Maxson
09-25-2009, 08:49 PM
Hi Robert. This is a different perspective than we usually get on this forum - and I like it a lot. This is all the more impressive given that you couldn't see the image as you took the photo. The spider is sharp and I like the rule of thirds comp you achieved. I also like the included habitat - not quite as sharp as the spider so it doesn't directly compete for my attention - but sharp enough to clearly convey a sense of place. Up here, this same species (Argiope aurantia), would be called a Yellow Garden Argiope. In case anyone is interested - the zig zag pattern in the middle of the web is called a stabilimentum. Current thinking regarding its function is that it reflects UV light and thus may attract insects to the web. :)

Julie Kenward
09-25-2009, 08:54 PM
Robert, I think that has got to be a new record for the largest spider web in the macro forum! I absolutely love the relationship between the spider and the BG - as Steve said, we don't often see so much detailed surroundings here in macro but this is spectacular. Great detail to the spider and a wonderful placement for him in the image - I simply can't believe you weren't looking through the viewfinder...amazing!

Harshad Barve
09-25-2009, 10:43 PM
this is super shot , lovely compo , nice colors and good details on spider
TFS

Dave Leroy
09-26-2009, 12:06 AM
A great looking shot Robert and good for you to see it and take it. The composition really worked out well. Dave

Gordon Craig
09-26-2009, 04:37 AM
This is an excellent picture. The outline of the web over the water really does it for me.

Vida van der Walt
09-26-2009, 01:09 PM
This is something different and I love it. The unusual view and beautiful blues are wonderful. The spider is pin sharp too. Very well done!

Jerry van Dijk
09-27-2009, 01:40 PM
Very interesting perspective on this one, Robert. Agree with your own idea that a little more FG would have added to the composition.
- Jerry-

Nagesh Mula
09-29-2009, 01:37 PM
Very different perspective Robert but yet very effective. I liked it a lot.