PDA

View Full Version : St Marks Lighthouse

Harold Davis
09-25-2009, 03:32 PM
drove 6.5 hours only to find that the light was under renovation and it only had this small beacon mounted outside. oh well, will have to do it again!! probably one of the most peaceful places i ever visited. only wished i stayed longer.

D300, 18-200 at 20mm, f/13, 0EV, 25s, ISO 400.

thanks for looking. comments and critiques are much appreciated.

Roman Kurywczak
09-25-2009, 04:41 PM
Hey Harold,
Nice to see you here again! Bummer on the light but it is a nice one and I like the way you balanced the left side with the space. I'm not a huge fan of the green in the sky.....if you want to....post the original and we will let everyone take a whack at it to see what others can come up with!
I'm glad you posted this as it is one of the lights on my list.

Harold Davis
09-25-2009, 04:46 PM
thanks RK. here ya go. have at it. i will work on another version also.

Robert Amoruso
09-25-2009, 04:47 PM
Harold,

Been here and glad to see a different perspective. For a photo-illustrative look, I like the green tint - makes it dreamy.

Roman Kurywczak
09-25-2009, 06:15 PM
Hey Harold,
Only a billion layers later.....and I have a blue version for you! Maybe should have backed off that last contrast layer....but it was fun!

Harold Davis
09-25-2009, 06:23 PM
holey cow!!! what did you do!!!? :eek::D

here's my take on it again, with the wife's approval:cool:

what i didnt realize is that when i reposted, i posted an entirely different pic. oops. sorry. not sure which one i like better.

thanks for the help.

Roman Kurywczak
09-25-2009, 06:30 PM
Hey H,
I might lighten the grasses just a touch.....but I like the repost colors also.
What????.....you don't like blues on steroids?:D

Harold Davis
09-25-2009, 07:21 PM
here's the final version....i told roman in a PM that i really wanted to get what i saw through the viewfinder. looking through it, i couldnt see a horizon line at all because of the fog that was rolling in. it was a very peaceful scene and i think i got it with this last one.

please let me know what you think. thanks!

David Thomasson
09-25-2009, 09:02 PM
holey cow!!! what did you do!!!? :eek::D

here's my take on it again, with the wife's approval:cool:

what i didnt realize is that when i reposted, i posted an entirely different pic. oops. sorry. not sure which one i like better.

thanks for the help.

I like that version, Harold. My compliments to your wife! I did something in a similar mode/mood ...

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/9721/lighthousee.jpg

Morkel Erasmus
09-26-2009, 04:14 AM
some interesting takes on this one. I quite liked your OP Harold, but I do think you need to try and stick to what you saw on the day, and therefore your last post cracks the nod, as it also feels quite ethereal. pity about the light :(

David Thomasson
09-26-2009, 07:45 AM
... but I do think you need to try and stick to what you saw on the day ...
Oh noooooooooooooo! We're all journalists now??? :eek: :confused: :(

The world needs journalists. It also dreamers and inventors. Live and let live. :)

Harold Davis
09-26-2009, 08:08 AM
It also dreamers and inventors. Live and let live. :)

totally agree!!

i like what you did with it. seems very natural. and just another perspective!:)

Lance Warley
09-26-2009, 12:13 PM
I like your original version and I really like your final version, Harold.

The thing I like most is the soft transition from sky to sea. Sweet.

denise ippolito
09-26-2009, 04:16 PM
Harold, I had a really hard time deciding which one I liked best-so many to choose from and they all have merit. I think if I were to hang one it would be your final post. Beautiful soft colors and the slightly surreal look make this a winner.

Morkel Erasmus
09-28-2009, 08:05 AM
hehe - I'm nearly first in the line of dreamers and inventors :)
what I meant to say was since he (the 'creator') felt the last one was more in line with what he saw, and that was what he wanted to convey, it cracks the nod. I'm all for playing with it until you get many different versions :)