PDA

View Full Version : Wait for tiger

Harshad Barve
09-25-2009, 08:32 AM
Dear All
Its me
image taken by one of my friend & I have permission to post :)
At Tadoba Andhari Tiger reserve , waiting for tiger to come out
After some time , I mounted my 105 on D300 to shoot some butterflies and cub came out for just 1 min or so.
So shooted cub with 105:D
All commnets welcome and much appreciated

Harshad

denise ippolito
09-25-2009, 08:57 AM
Harshad, It's nice to put a face with the name.

Alfred Forns
09-25-2009, 02:55 PM
... that is close and momma could have been right behind :)

Gus Cobos
09-25-2009, 06:25 PM
Hi Harshad,
If I were in your place, I would be sitting inside a steel cage taking the photos...:eek::D...looking good Sir...did mama tiger come after her cub?

Harshad Barve
09-25-2009, 08:54 PM
Thankfully Momma was not there. Otherwise you may have seen this image with garland around my neck :D:D:D
In the afternoon we visited place again & found cubs were alone. These are 1 yr cubs & Momma must be on hunting duty as she has to feed 4 cubs

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=45629

Here is the image with 105

Harshad

Harshad Barve
09-25-2009, 08:57 PM
Hi Harshad,
If I were in your place, I would be sitting inside a steel cage taking the photos...:eek::D...looking good Sir...did mama tiger come after her cub?

No steel cages in vehicles Gus Sir
These are open SUV's. Will find one image for you soon

Roman Kurywczak
09-25-2009, 09:12 PM
Hey Harshad,
Pretty relaxed for an open vehicle! Reminds me of the vehicles I use in Africa on tour......I will admit that my knees buckled once when a male lion approached my window.......I knew he was close when at 100mm I couldn't focus on his face! I'd imagine that your hear skips a few beats when the tigers approach close to the vehicle!

Harshad Barve
09-25-2009, 09:20 PM
Hey Harshad,
Pretty relaxed for an open vehicle! Reminds me of the vehicles I use in Africa on tour......I will admit that my knees buckled once when a male lion approached my window.......I knew he was close when at 100mm I couldn't focus on his face! I'd imagine that your hear skips a few beats when the tigers approach close to the vehicle!

I never skipped beats as I am watching them for last 20 yrs. Tigers have tendency to walk on SUV tracks only to get soft dusty roads.
IMHO tiger is a geltelman , wont hurt you. You trust me or not I have seen huge male tiger at distance of around 1.5 mtrs BTW I will suggest to keep distance from Tigress as you never know she has cubs or not

edgar-junior
09-26-2009, 01:33 PM
No steel cages WOW !!! not for me .....:D

Ákos Lumnitzer
09-26-2009, 04:03 PM
Great to see you in person Harshadbhai! I will visit you someday to see your tigers, :)

Tony Whitehead
09-27-2009, 04:33 AM
Thanks for sharing this, Harshad. Looks like one tiny vehicle. Is the bonnet/hood of the vehicle raised. I don't understand how we see the rearview mirror but can't see through the windscreen/windshield.

Harshad Barve
09-27-2009, 06:46 AM
Thanks everyone , here is another image
Driver & forest guide seats in front. Tourist can seat in front if he/she wish.
Photographers /Tourist seats in back side , It can accomodate 4 tourist , 6 in tight frame:D:D
Generaly only 2 photographers per Gypsy. Name of vehicle is Maruti Gyspsy. 4 x 4 , petrol
this is pretty tiny vehicle but very useful. In most of the National Parks only these vehicles are used. These are small , very powerful and sleek to enter any terrains. Gas guzzlers :D
Harshad

Harshad Barve
09-27-2009, 06:50 AM
Thanks for sharing this, Harshad. Looks like one tiny vehicle. Is the bonnet/hood of the vehicle raised. I don't understand how we see the rearview mirror but can't see through the windscreen/windshield.

Bonnet was raised. Driver was busy in clenaning engine. BTW he jumped inside as he saw cub :)

Tony Whitehead
09-27-2009, 01:13 PM
Thanks, Harshad. All makes sense now. Apart from cleaning the engine in tiger country:D

Kaustubh Deshpande
09-28-2009, 10:35 AM
Harshad.... I have been to Tadoba thrice in the early-to-mid nineties. That was before it was declared a tiger reserve. used to be a lot of fun then. We used to stay at the lodge on the main lake and there were no restrictions on walking then. great for birding. I have even spent nights on watchtowers there. I remember one night (on kateghari watch tower i u know the place) when we slept on the watchtower and a tigress with her cubs was at the waterhole whole night. It was quite an experience.

In India, the tour guides always say that if you want to be scared, be scared of bears and elephants and not the tigers and the leopards.

But then one day I saw this video clip. Its quite scary: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQy-FQtKoGo

Harshad Barve
09-30-2009, 05:46 AM
Harshad.... I have been to Tadoba thrice in the early-to-mid nineties. That was before it was declared a tiger reserve. used to be a lot of fun then. We used to stay at the lodge on the main lake and there were no restrictions on walking then. great for birding. I have even spent nights on watchtowers there. I remember one night (on kateghari watch tower i u know the place) when we slept on the watchtower and a tigress with her cubs was at the waterhole whole night. It was quite an experience.

In India, the tour guides always say that if you want to be scared, be scared of bears and elephants and not the tigers and the leopards.

But then one day I saw this video clip. Its quite scary: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQy-FQtKoGo

Those watch towers and place near lake is closed. No tourist can stay inside the Jugle now. No more walks , 2 wheelers , Only four wheelers with compulsory forest dept guide

About this clip

I think best option is not to mess with any wild animal:)

Don Hamilton Jr.
10-20-2009, 11:26 AM
Hi Gus, id like to contact you in reference the maimi metro zoo photography.. thks don
561-212-7358