09-24-2009, 11:27 PM
http://www.photocamel.com/gallery/data/1677/DSC_1434W.jpg

Harshad Barve
09-25-2009, 08:41 AM
lovely wing pose , nice expo and BG , lovely details
TFS

Phil Ertel
09-25-2009, 04:10 PM
Welcome to BPN. Nice first post. Including your equipment and settings plus any other information such as time of day will help us provide more informative critiques. As presented it appears your exposure and details are good. With birds in flight I prefer the wing position to be all the way up or down. However, I do think this image works as the head is clearly visible. I find the dark bits of the water to be mildly distracting. I also find the composition a little tight. If you have it I would suggest adding some room for the bird to fly into. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to seeing more of your images.

Brian Grant
09-25-2009, 07:27 PM
The equipment is a Nikon D300 and the lens is usually a 70-200mm VR. In this case, it also included a Nikon TC-14E teleconverter. !/1250 at f8 with -1EV to accomodate the white bird. VR off, I think it degrades images at high shutter speeds. I do not strip the EXiF from images so, if you have an EXIF reader you can get very complete information if desired.

It was taken in the morning on Charlotte Harbor in SW Florida on my morning walkabout. Most of my shots are taken within 10 miles of my home with occasional longer runs to the Venice Rookery or Ding Darling.

When I get a clear blue sky behind a subject, I welcome it but otherwise leave the bird in it's natural environment as it is normally seen. In many cases, this allows a viewer to see how the birds coloration suits it's environment.

Thanks for the comments.

Lance Peters
09-25-2009, 10:00 PM
Hi Brian - A big warm welcome to BPN.
IMHO - would like a little more room for him to fly into (upfront), on my screen the head area does look a little soft, could use a little more sharpening. The reason for the wings fully up or fully down comments is that it helps prevent the head appearing to merge with the wing - as you have here with the far wing, a little more separation would have been good.
Tech details look good.
TFS