PDA

View Full Version : Semipalmated Sandpiper juvenile

Brian Barcelos
09-24-2009, 06:11 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2579/3951181267_3fc2020844_o.jpg

Took this one late in the evening a couple of weeks ago. Didn't see any shorebirds this past weekend at the same spot in Westport, MA. He had just finished taking a bath and I didn't capture it because I was adjusting my settings.

Slight crop and CCW rotation due to hand holding (the only way I shoot).;)
Thanks for looking and appreciate all input.

Brian

Canon EOS 50D
Manual Exposure
Tv 1/1000
Av 9.0
Evaluative Metering
ISO 500
Tamron 200-500mm
Focal Length 500.0 mm

Richard Stern
09-24-2009, 07:39 PM
Hi,

Nice pose, and reasonable background. Bird is sharp, and you can see the semipalmations on the right foot -- but to me looks a little over-exposed, or the colors a little washed out - leading to rather featureless whites on the flank. How do you like the Tamron for hand-holding?

Richard

Raymond Barlow
09-24-2009, 08:30 PM
looks pretty nice @500mm, f9 helps... I would lower the iso a bit, and under expose to save the whites... very nice low angle, pose, and environment looks excellent.

Harshad Barve
09-24-2009, 09:10 PM
Nice pose , lighting , sharpness and BG , I would underexpose to control whites
TFS

Stu Bowie
09-25-2009, 12:53 AM
Brian, super low angle. Nice and sharp and I would maybe tone down the belly slightly. I like the pastel colours in the BG, and would maybe take away the rock LRC.

Morkel Erasmus
09-25-2009, 01:25 AM
I agree with Stu, and like the lines in the BG. exposure looks okay, just wondering about the patch in its midsection (can't check now). nice and sharp, low angle adds a lot...

Dave Barnes
09-25-2009, 02:42 AM
Hi Brian.
I like the BG, comp, light and sharpness of the subject.
I agree with Stu aon the cloning out of thr rock and I would try to get a bit of detail in the feathers below his wing. (Although this looks clipped you may be able to recover it in PP)
I think the BG needs a bit of NR, did you run a blur filter on it?

denise ippolito
09-25-2009, 06:26 AM
Brian, Very nice walking pose w/ slightly raised foot. BG colors are soft and pleasing. I might tone down the whites a bit and remove the rock that is hanging on the LR edge. Sharp details and nice low angle

Brian Barcelos
09-25-2009, 04:26 PM
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I'll defiantly take in all suggestions, by the way the whites were slightly hot just under the wing and I did use recovery but thats the best I could get.

Richard, the Tamron is actually quite light and comfortable for hand holding although if you are considering it I'd suggest getting the Canon 400mm F/5.6 as it is far superior in image quality and you only loose 100mm. Of course thats if your using Canon and it's not much more money. (I'm kicking my self in the @$$ for not getting it in the first place);)

Brian

Simon Bennett
09-25-2009, 11:57 PM
I like the alert pose and low perspective.