PDA

View Full Version : The Pans

Isak Pretorius
09-24-2009, 04:01 PM
This was an HDR effort taken at the Makgadikgadi pans. All comments welcome!

5dmk2
16-35f2.8
iso100
hdr (3 photos)

Dave Leroy
09-24-2009, 10:39 PM
I like it. Very simple and effective. Lovely colours. I also like the vertical presentation and the effect of the wide angle. Nice. Dave

Morkel Erasmus
09-25-2009, 01:05 AM
Hi Isak!

I think this shows the desolation of the place nicely. I like the textures up front, the minimalistic composition and the colours. I wish I could go there again soon...:)

Hilary Hann
09-25-2009, 01:27 AM
While I love this image, I find one thing disconcerting, my eye is drawn to the sun and its' reflection which looks wonderful but then all the foreground just sits there without a reason. I don't start at the foreground and get drawn to the light, because it is so dramatic my eye goes straight there. Probably just me. Still, I really like it.

Robert Amoruso
09-25-2009, 08:28 AM
Isak,

I like how you composed this with the small mound in the FG balanced with the sun and trees - all forming a triangle.

I think Hilary brings up a good point as my eye is drawn to the sun as well. I reposted a different version of your image. In it I burned in the sun and dodged out the FG. Since that left the FG low in contrast I applied a strong s-curve adjustment and masked out the sun, sky and water. Of course this changes the mood of the image but I feel it gives the FG more prominence.

Harold Davis
09-25-2009, 03:41 PM
i like what robert did, but agree with hilary's point too. the other thing that bothers me is the softness of the tree and horizon line. if you were using photomatix, there are some settings in the beginning that will help with that. the first one is check the Align Source Images and put a dot in the By correcting horizontal and vertical shifts. the second one is check the Attempt to reduce ghosting artifacts and then in the Detection drop down menu, select HIGH. will help out with the sharpness!!

Roman Kurywczak
09-25-2009, 05:40 PM
Hi Isak,
Very good advice given above. I really like what Robert's re-post did to the sun. I do believe it changed the mood on the bottom but like the others I felt something was a bit off there......so I combined the 2 and lightened your MG. I then added contrast to that area. My advice for next time is that you should get lower......you will minimize the distance between the main FG rock and the horizon thus making a stronger connection between the 2. I still feel this is pretty well composed and the tweaks will only help strengthen it.

Isak Pretorius
09-25-2009, 05:50 PM
Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions, I really appreciate it. The image needs more attention and I'll try some of the suggestions. Next time I'll also try some lower angle shots.

The softness of the trees also bothered me. Thanks for the tip Harold!

Morkel Erasmus
09-26-2009, 05:00 AM
I quite like what Roman's repost has done. :)