PDA

View Full Version : Sandhill Crane Migration

Norm Dulak
09-24-2009, 02:40 PM
My wife and I will be traveling to Marin County north of San Francisco early in October. I understand that sandhill crane migration occurs, e.g., to the Gray Lodge Wildlife Area and to the vicinity of Lodi, which has scheduled a Sandhill Crane Festival early in November.

Does anyone know when the California crane migration typically occurs, and where we might be able to photograph them not too terribly far from Marin County?

Norm Dulak

pfginsr
09-28-2009, 02:57 PM
Hi Norm,

The cranes begin arriving in the Central Valley usually around mid-October. Early October they are still staging farther north in the Klamath Wildlife Refuges along the Northern California/Oregon border.

I feel one of the best wildlife refuges to see the Cranes is at the Merced National Wildlife Refuge near Merced, California. That is a bit further south from Lodi in the central valley where the festival is held. The Central Valley locations are about a 2 hour drive from the Marin area.

Since you will be in Marin you should also check out the Las Gallinas sanitary district area (http://www.lgvsd.org/). You won't see cranes here but it is a great spot for other birds. They are doing construction around the ponds there right now on the levees but the area should reopen by the time you are here in October.

Enjoy your stay in Northern California.

Norm Dulak
09-28-2009, 04:09 PM
pfginsr:

Thanks! You've provided a lot of useful information.

Norm Dulak

Heath Vanderpool
01-26-2010, 08:44 PM
A great spot for me lately for sandhills and snow geese has been at San Joaquin River NWR just west of Modesto, ive been going there alot lately, maybe a little out of the way for you though. Hope this helps

Heath

Orisen Photography
02-09-2010, 12:34 AM
I am heading to San Joaquin River NWR this weekend. Are the sandhill cranes still around or have they started migrating north?

Heath Vanderpool
02-09-2010, 12:55 AM
I am heading to San Joaquin River NWR this weekend. Are the sandhill cranes still around or have they started migrating north?

Hello,

I was there this last weekend and there were quite a few still there. Last year I photographed them clear through to the end of Febuary there at San Joaquin NWR, but you never know I guess. Let me know if you go out there I will probly be there looking myself.

Heath